hedge gave birth help - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Then don't mess with the cage, mom or babies. Only water and food. You were told to read about emergency babies and were told not to mess with anything. Curiosity kill the cat.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah sorry bout that one I got a bit too excited I'm not hook to mess with it any more then
Logic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hello guys I got her some new food she's liking the lamp I guess I can't really tell and all is well.oh and 1 last thing she freaks out when I go to replace her food(no this is not because I messed with the nest yesterday she's been doing this since day 1)so I was wondering will she pass over her fear to the baby's or can they be socialized to get over fear and be loving companions?well that's all the updates I got I think I'm going to start posting again in 2 weeks when I can start socializing them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1300_1484261806368.jpg (146.9 KB, 65 views)

Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

You should be mixing a small amount of kitten food with her regular food. I wouldn't start introducing a new adult kibble until the babies are weaned. You want to make as few changes as possible. Do you talk softly to her when you approach her cage and tell her what you're going to do? If not I would start doing that so she doesn't react like that when you change her food. As long as you socialize the babies once they're old enough they should be fine.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

The door to my bathroom squeaks so i freaked her out some time and when doesn't because she's a sleep or doesn't notice if I don't want to talk because I don't want to stress her out the only time she notices I'm there is when I pick up her food bowl to refill it.she doesn't have a regular food the amount that the reeder gave me is runing out so I got her some low fat height protein cat food was looking for some kitten food but couldn't find any low fat and high protein at my pet store also she really seems to like it over her old brand which btw I have no idea what brand she was being fed.i mixed in the new food with the remaining old to get her use to the new 1.hey I was think when the baby's are 2 weeks old and I can start holding them can I remove the igloo and move the mom so I can pick them up because Ik that she won't even let me put my hand in the cage even before she ga e birth so I highly doubt she will now.or could I just pick up a baby when she balls up and stuff.thanks for walking me through this guys I'm pretty sure all is well now I'm just kinda nervous about when I have to socialize them and all that
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Try oiling the door so it doesn't make so much noise.

She needs the extra fat in the kitten food to have enough nutrients and energy to feed the babies and the babies need to eat the kitten food too when they begins eating the kibble.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

I can't really oil the door it would be too loud the bathroom is really and I mean really small that's why I've been looking for owners also at 6 weeks when they wean to kibble I can separate them and wait a week to see if they are eating then I can send them to their homes?would it be possible for one of the females to live with mom or will they still fight?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Yes. Ou need to make sure they are eating on their own before sending them to their new homes and girls can stay a little longer with mom.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Yes but I was wondering would a girl still fight with the mom or can they become a bonded pair and stay together?i saw a vid on YouTube yesterday about a bonded pair of hedgehogs that live in the same cage and do fine I was wondering if this is possible with a baby and the mom
Old 01-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to talk softly to her so she knows your there so she isn't startled when you pick up the dish.

Sometimes a mother/daughter pair can stay together but most often they end up fighting because the mom is tired of having the babies around. In the wild the mom would chase them out of the nest and not let them back. In a cage she can't do that so often times becomes aggressive and injures the baby. If you want to keep one you need to make sure you have two cages for them. Even if they seem ok to start with it only takes mom getting mad one night and you won't know until to late.
Druid Arwen likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in