help! pregnant hedgy! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default help! pregnant hedgy!

Hi everyone!
Im new in this forum...
I usually join forums to learn more about my exotic pets, and how to give a proper and excellent care to them.
I just got this female hedgehog, she is 1 8 months old, looks healthy and beautiful!
A friend of mine gave it to me because she is moving to europe, and she wont be able to take the little gal with her.
The thing is that this little girl, seems to be pregnant. My friend told me that she left her for couple of weeks with some other friend, and he placed her into her male hedgehog bin...
Sooooooo....... Im not 100% she really is, but I want to make sure I have everything working on.
I've been reading a lot, and I know they are born somewhere around day 35, and they cant be disturbed for about 3 - 4 weeks.
Is there anything else I should give her beside the cat food and water?
Should I get her extra calcium or something?
Does she needs a special box, or nest or something???
My female pomerania is pregnant, and right now im giving her this great vitamins that help them provide everything they need.... (its for cat and dogs) .. its called nutri-plus gel ...
ALL the vets says that this stuff is GREAT...
Do you guys think, it can be good for my little girl?
it says:

Each 100 g contain:
Vitamin A 17.635 IU
Vitamin D3 882 IU
Vitamin E 106 IU
Thiamine (B1) 35.25 mg
Riboflavin (B2) 3.5 mg
Pyridoxine HCI (B6) 17.6 mg
Cyanocobalamin (B12) 35.25 mcg
Nicotinamide 35.25 mg
calcium pantothenate 35.25 mg
Folic acid 3.5 mg
MgSO 70.5 mg
manganese sulfate 72.0 mg
potassium iodide 12 mg
iron 8.8 mg

thanks a lot everyone =)
armando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: help! pregnant hedgy!

so... no help at all =S?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Don't worry, your post probably just got missed for a bit. Most people on here aren't really qualified to answer pregnancy or new babies posts because we don't have experience with it, so most people will look and not answer, or not bother looking. We do have some awesome breeders on here though, so I'm sure they'll come by soon with some advice!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

The bigest issue is her age a female should not be bred after a year unless she had a litter before. Keep an eye on her she mite not be able to deliver.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh!
I made a mistake
she is 8, not 18 =)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry

She should be fine at 8 months. Don't give her any vitamins or anything like that. Start adding Royal Canin BabyCat 34 to her food mix (gradually). What kind of bedding is she on? If she's on liners, I'd switch her over to aspen shavings and give her a large igloo. What kind of cage is she in?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

=O! great thanks so much for the information
I will get Royal Canin BabyCat 34 right away!!!
Im keeping her in a big big plastic container, she has special bedding, its something like recycled paper... I dont know the name, and she also has pellets on the other side, for poop.
What should the igloo be like? how big? material? etc?
thanks sooo much for you help
Old 02-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to HappyHedgies

Please don't breed your little gal again after this. Its not a good idea to breed hedgies without linage. You need to give her a proper nesting place. We use small, dark blue bins with a hole cut in the side of them for our mothers. I wouldn't recommend using a cardboard box because that can get messy so use something plastic. Some people use ice cream buckets but I find them a little small. You should use something that's entirely enclosed, a dome wouldn't be appropriate because a baby could get lost easily if it found its way under the edge. Make sure whatever you use has about a 1 inch lip so the babies cant fall out.

For food, make sure you feed her half kitten food and half adult formula. If you feed her straight kitten food this can make her stool runny and make her gain to much weight. Make sure you feed her half and half. Also supp supplementing her with a few juicy bugs wouldn't hurt! We like to give all of our hedgies bugs (like meal worms, wax worms and butter worms) on a daily basis. We tend to give our pregnant or nursing females more bugs then the rest of them.

Make sure you take out her wheel and all other accessories from her cage. Her nesting box, food and water should be the only thing in her cage (maybe a litter box too if shes trained to use it). Its best not to have distractions so she cares for her babies more. One of our females, Orion had a bell in her cage and she would literally sit out of her house all night and play with it. We noticed her doing this so we had to remove her bell so she would tend to her babies. We gave it back to her once the babies turned 4 weeks because now they can chase her down if they really need to nurse.

For nesting materials. I would say use shavings. Do you use liners or shavings?? For our girls we give them shavings as there nesting material. We don't like using liners for our pregnant girls because some of the girls tried having there hoglets under the liner. Some mothers also moved there babies under them too so its best to just stick with shavings.

Don't feed her any sort of calcium supplement, all she needs is her kibble (half kitten and half adult) and maybe a few extra bugs here and there.
HappyHedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in