Problems after handling hedgehog babies!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Problems after handling hedgehog babies!!!

It hit the two week mark, so me and my fiance decided to handle the babies last night and the momma seemed okay with it, but now, she is very active way past when she normally would be in her box. She is frantically trying to escape and climbing on the box, in her efforts to escape, she is stepping on them like she doesn't care about them at all. I am really worried. Is this normal? What should I do?
rm.lydon08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Problems after handling hedgehog babies!!!

I would say give her more time before handling them again, may have been a smell on your hands that got on the babies and freaked her out, I dunno. Nancy and Nikki are our breeding experts and i'm sure they will be around soon to offer some helpful advice.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Just because babies are two weeks old, it doesn't necessarily mean it's safe yet to handle the babies. Two weeks is just a general guideline. Some moms need longer, others are fine with it sooner.

You say you both handled "babies". Being the first time handling, you should not have handled them all. I always started slowly by rubbing my finger down the back of one baby and if mom was okay with that, the next night I picked one baby up for less than a minute. If all is well, the next night, handle another baby or maybe two babies and slowly work up from there. Only one of you should be doing this until mom is comfortable with her babies being handled.

Mom is overwhelmed and stressed. Leave her completely alone and let her calm down. Don't try touching the babies for at least another few days and only if she is completely calm and back to normal. When you do try again, start very slow.

Hopefully babies will be okay. Is she feeding them?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

About 10 minutes after posting this, she calmed down and went in and nursed, and has been nursing on and off, maybe I just overreacted, but I've never seen her with so much pent up energy.I am just a college student and am really in no way set up for breeding, but this little surprise has been going well so far. She is a good momma and the information on this forum has played a huge part in ensuring the survival of all 5 babies. Thanks for the advice Nancy, I will give her a few days and start off slower.
rm.lydon08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

YAY. That's great news. She sounds like a good mom but just remember that even good moms have their overload point.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in