Half eaten babies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By twobytwopets
  • 1 Post By FinnickHog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Half eaten babies

Ill post again so maybe this time it will be seen. Went to give mom food and water and you can see one baby in the igloo but she has her back to it. It never cries and is moving and seems healthy its now 3 days old. Yesterday i found 1 half eaten baby and 1 dead one whose quills never popped out. She had put both over in her poo area. There werent there on day one so im hoping they were dead when she had them and finally disposed of them on day 2 im hoping she didnt decide to kill them on day 2 but like I said its quills never poked out like the love ones did so again hoping it was born dead. As long as the one she still has never cries out she taking care of it right? Its in the igloo, right next to her back, still moving around, and i never hear it cry. Im just trying to listen and watch the baby monitor for in case it cries and is outside the igloo for a long period in case i have to step in. Really not wanting to im wanting her to do her mommy thing. And advice would be great.
TayTay2255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Someone will be on soon who can help you out and give you advice. Unfortunately most of us have no experience with your situation, and we wouldn't want to give you recommendations that could harm Mama or the baby.

Good luck, and hopefully one of our more experienced members will be on soon. Hang in there!

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agree with Pru. In the meantime use the search option because I know there are a lot of unplanned pregnancy and babies posts.

I know if baby is not crying and it's moving it means mom is feeding it.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is my second post in 3 days the last one has no replies. Thank god this isnt an emergency because ive gotten no help at all. Im glad i read every freaking post i could find on google the whole month before she had them.
TayTay2255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry you aren't getting responses fast enough. Fact remains this is just a forum and people come on during their spare time, when they choose to. Forum members with breeding knowledge and or experience are small in numbers around here. So when you ask advice on babies it can take even longer. Members are even discouraged from responding in breeding situations to avoid a person acting on bad advice.
Fact of the matter is, at 3 days there is very little you can do. However, I would contact local breeders and explain the situation. Asking them if it would be OK to contact them directly with questions as they arise.
FinnickHog and Druid Arwen like this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2016, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Honestly, I'm having trouble narrowing down what you're actually asking... There's a lot of words in there, and your first post was too long and I didn't have time to finish it before I had to leave.

That said, like Two mentioned, we don't have many breeders here and they're all busy people with their own lives, so emergency advice only really works if one of them happens to be around when you post. It's also a small, very niche community, so being impolite isn't going to make us answer you faster.

Are you asking is the baby is dead?

Judging by the answers on the forum I can find by doing a search, whether it's dead or not you can't peek until its older or mom might throw a fit and kill it. If it starts to smell like carcass go ahead and lift the hut as it's probably dead. Otherwise, leave mom alone and hope for the best.

I know you said breeding was an accident (that was where I managed to read to in the first post) so I don't expect you to have done months or years of research into this, or to have a mentor, so the best I can tell you, having never bred myself, is just to leave them alone and wait.

And New Brunswick is northeast of you, in Eastern Canada.
twobytwopets likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I answered on your other post. I am one of only 2 or 3 members here that have breeding experience and unfortunately we can't be here 24/7 to answer questions. We have lives, we take holidays and we work. I have been camping for the last 4 days and just got home a couple of hours ago. We do our best to answer as soon as possible but life gets in the way. Being rude about not getting an answer as quick as you want isn't going to help you or the babies.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in