Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breeding & Babies Help (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My little lady just had hoglets ... Worries (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12527)

callie1992 10-03-2011 07:56 PM

My little lady just had hoglets ... Worries

My female hedgie , Critter, just had her first batch of babies. When we went to change her food on October 2 we discovered 4 babies along side her. They seem to be fine, they are squeaking and crawling around inside the nest and critter seems to be getting around fine. She is very protective over them so we leave them alone, i just occasionally check on her to see if she has food and water and that her litter is clean, but i do not disturb the nest. Yesterday she was eating lots and used her litter a couple of times but today she has NOT eaten or drank anything (or very very little) and it doesnt look like her litter has been used. I was just worried that she may not be getting what she needs to produce milk for the babies, maybe this is normal, but i have done tons of research and cannot find anything online. i am VERY worried about the little guys they seem so helpless. I love the little ones soo much already and she is a new mom, i just want them all to be okay. Any help / advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,

Lilysmommy 10-03-2011 08:30 PM

Re: My little lady just had hoglets ... Worries

49 Attachment(s)
I can't offer much in the way of advice since I'm not a breeder, but just wanted to bump this up, and send good wishes for mama and babies! If you want, you could also PM Nancy, Nikki, LarryT, or Hedgehog Grove, they're some of the experienced breeders on here that may be able to help you.

10-03-2011 08:33 PM

I have PM'd a few of them to bring this topic to there attention

CourtneyFaye 10-03-2011 09:51 PM

It might be beneficial to repost this in health or breeding to get more attention. Sorry I can't help otherwise, I'm not experienced with breeding.

Nancy 10-03-2011 10:48 PM

Usually the first day after delivery they don't eat much as they have cleaned up the afterbirth and everything. Count the kibble you give her so you know for certain if she is eating or not. Have you added some kitten food to her mix? It will help give her the extra fat needed for milk production.

Have you seen her moving around? Does she seem okay or is she lethargic?

PrickleyPets 10-03-2011 10:51 PM

One of my first time moms did the same exact thing. I was also worried so I called my mentor and fellow breeder about my concerns. She told me this is sometime normal for first time moms and even longtime moms. For about the first week they eat and drink very little because they are consumed with do their motherly duty. After about two or three days of barely eating my mommy finally came out and gorged on food and water and used the potty then went right back in with her babies. My opinion based on my experience is to just watch and check in on her to see if she has eaten or drank for the next day or so. If after the second day she still hasnt ate or drank you may want to call your vet and discuss the situation with them. I wish you the best of luck I know we worry nonstop with out first time mommies and babies .

callie1992 10-04-2011 01:16 AM

Thank you all so so much. And to Nancy, she seems to me fine she is moving about in the nest and she walks out to look at me whenever i walk into the room. I have not mixed kitten food her usual diet but i will be sure to pick some up first thing in the morning. Thanks again for the tips/advice. It is GREATLY appreciated. : )

Nancy 10-04-2011 08:38 AM

If she's acting normal, she is probably fine. Sometimes they can have a drop in calcium after birth which makes them lethargic but it sounds like she is fine. Betting she will start eating any time. How close is the dish to the nest box? Moving it closer might help. :)

shetland 10-04-2011 12:17 PM

I just have to say this. Its always such a relief when Nancy responds. I scroll down just to see her name!

Nancy 10-04-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shetland
I just have to say this. Its always such a relief when Nancy responds. I scroll down just to see her name!

Ah shetland my friend. You are so kind. :D