!Emergency! Hedgehog eating skin of baby !Emergency! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default !Emergency! Hedgehog eating skin of baby !Emergency!

My Hedgehog recently gave birth to 3 hoglets. It instantly killed one. I wasn't home and was in school so my parents removed the babies from their home. I told them to return it as soon as I got home. She accepted them and breastfed them for 2 weeks. Today I peeped at them and saw that one hoglet lost half its skin because the mother has been biting it off. I decided that it was best to remove it from its home because it was starting to be rejected from being breastfeed. I then applied antiseptic. What do I do next?
CaptainMarioMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Go to a vet. Now. Not tomorrow or later. The hoglet needs proper care and treatment.

And you have to syringe feed it. I'm on mobile now but there are several threads with information about hand raising hoglets, you can probably find them through the search option or Google - I hope someone chimes in with more advise but the most important thing now is for the baby to eat/drink and a vet visit to properly treat its wounds if possible and if not, the vet can put him to sleep so he won't be in pain any longer.
twobytwopets likes this.
Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Depending on how bad the wounds are, it'd probably be best to have the vet put the baby to sleep. It sounds like it's pretty bad, and it's very difficult to hand-raise baby hedgehogs. If you're still in school, it'll be next to impossible for you. Babies need to be fed every 2-3 hours round the clock, and even then you can still lose them. That's with seemingly-healthy babies - one that has been wounded by the mother as this one has even less chance.

Sounds like she still has one baby left? Does everything seem to be okay with that one? Make sure you're staying away from the cage & leaving her alone. It doesn't sound like she's doing well with motherhood & it could be just that she doesn't want the babies, something is wrong with them, or it could be she's getting stressed by something. No cleaning the cage, no wheel in the cage, and only change food & water. Try to stay away from the cage as much as possible. I would personally give her a week or so with the last baby before you start to try handling them. Typically 2 weeks is fine, but since she's killed one, & wounded another, it'd probably be better to wait and see if she calms down.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Depending on what happens you should start reading up on hand raising as soon as you can or you can PM retired breeders for advice or me because I have successfully hand raisd two baby hoglets. For me it wasn't hard but I guess everyone has different experience/opinions on it. Either way I don't think I understand what you mean by skin ripped off...are the quills gone in those areas? Do you have a photo? Have you taken the baby to the vet yet??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in