Hiding spot for birth. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hiding spot for birth.

Hi,
I was wondering about the hiding place when the hedgehog gives birth to babies. What would be good to use for hiding place for hedgehog and birth baby? I heard it has to be big but I have no idea what to use for that.
What nest box is good to use?
gusanr14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

What does she currently have for a hiding spot?
Also are we talking about your recently adopted 2 year old female? If so and you don't know for sure if she has or not given birth before go with the assumption she will have a very difficult time giving birth as her pelvis would have fused.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh no, I am not gonna breed my 2 year old girl I am actually get a baby girl couple months later. I am going to wait till she reaches 6 month and then breed her with my boy who will be about 10 month at that time. I am using just a regular snuggle bag which fits my boy perfectly. I just wanted to prep for it way~~ before so I can study a lot before I breed any hedgehog. I saw breeder using like plastic bin to make a nest box. Is that good? What kind of plastic bin is used? sterile lite? what size is good?
gusanr14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

If it's a planned thing, get a mentor. Another person who is experienced enough to help you with your questions at 2am, a person who will teach you how to examine pedigrees, help you with set up, and possibly link you up with another person in the event they cannot foster a baby at that time. This person will basically share the information they have learned the hard way. They will help you determine good information from bad.
Don't assume because there is a person in mind they'd be willing to share this information with you. That information came from years of experience. Sometimes more error than trial. That information should not be handed out like toilet paper.
Own at least one hedgehog for its entire life. You don't even know if they are the right pet for you when they are babies. All you know it's they are cute. You don't understand their life stages yet, but you want to create more lives? We aren't talking large tortoise or larger parrot with long life spans, often outliving their owner. We are talking about a hedgehog, not extremely long life expectancy.
Vet bills can add up very quickly in a breeding situation gone wrong. Not your normal amount for a very bill either. We're talking some serious bills, and little guarantees. Are you willing and able to pay that at a moment's notice?
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in