Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breeding & Babies Help (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Babies Developing Slower Than Usual (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119122)

mscott 10-14-2015 09:22 AM

Babies Developing Slower Than Usual

Hi all, I just had my first litter of hoglets 30 days ago. There are only 2 with opened eyes and none are leaving the nest. Mom is also spending a lot of time away from it, so the hungry babies keep calling her back in. Is this alright? If not how can I encourage them to open their eyes and become active?

twobytwopets 10-14-2015 09:30 AM

There really isn't anything you can do. Is it possible you are either miscalculating dates/age or missing them walking around?

mscott 10-14-2015 09:35 AM

I wrote down the date they were born in my calendar, so it is unlikely that I am miscalculating. I could be missing them moving around but I don't think so, I haven't once seen a baby come out of the nest on its own. Maybe they aren't fed enough, I've got 6 babies and she favors two, which are the two that now have their eyes open.

twobytwopets 10-14-2015 09:38 AM

Is she still tending to the other 4 babies needs?

mscott 10-14-2015 09:47 AM

I believe so since they are also greatly progressing, but since day 1 she has favored these two and she has two runts she keeps trying to kick out.

mscott 10-14-2015 09:49 AM

When the babies squeak she goes in there and I can see her feeding them since she lies at the opening of the nest, but the rest of the time lately she sleeps at the other end of the cage.

twobytwopets 10-14-2015 09:53 AM

There could be a reason she is trying to push them out. Had you bred her before?
Are you handling them?

mscott 10-14-2015 10:03 AM

I had not bred her before and yes I had handled them because the day they were born all but the two babies were freezing and weren't moving. Ever since the first day she keeps forgetting about the other 4 babies and will just take 1 or both of her favorites, like when she moves nests she will leave the others and completely forget about them. The next day or so I would then have to push the other babies to the new nest with a spoon. But what I have noticed is any babies I handle, mom licks and annoints from.

mscott 10-14-2015 10:13 AM

I have also been briefly handling all of the babies lately to get them used to being handled, since many sites say now they are old enough to begin getting used to new things, but is that true since they are still blind?

twobytwopets 10-14-2015 10:21 AM

Do you have a mentor? It sounds to me that she has been pushing the 4 babies out for the whole time, usually there is a real reason for this. This sounds like a situation where possibly fostering would have been an option.