Signs of pregnancy! Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2015, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Signs of pregnancy! Help!

Okay so I have reason to believe my female hedgehog is pregnant I left her and my male with a friend for about a week, but i was told they were not placed together which is normal, however she is larger in just one week with visible nipples i didnt notice before, shes been eating alot and isnt really running on her wheel, she is pretty fat i would say and she just eats all the time and lays straight instead of curled up, i dont know if she is pregnant or consipated or anything please help. She also might have gotten pregnant before but i dont see how, but it is possible when i let them have little playdates under my supervision.
Joah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Any time you let a male and female have contact with each other pregnancy is a possibility. It only takes a moment of inattention for them to do what nature is telling them to do. How long ago was their last play date? You'll need to count 55 days from the last time they were together. You'll have to assume that she's pregnant and treat her that way until that time period has passed. If she is pregnant, she'll have her litter in that time. There are stickies on the forum with information on what you should do and expect. And from now on no more play dates for the two of them. You should never have them out at the same time because of this exact reason.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well i was intending to breed them anyways, so playdates was just a fun thing so i could have them both out exploring, but thank you for the help, but could anything else be of a problem with the mass eating and lethargic behavior?

Old 05-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

How old is she? Do you have pedigrees on both of them? Has she ever had a litter before?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well nikki she is about 5 months old give or take and yes they both have everything, she has just been eating alot and neglecting her wheel, so i took the wheel out thinking she might be popping soon, and i just put it back in today.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I thinks it's obvious that Joah has all the paperwork needed to safely breed I mean if you even think about mentioning the words want and breed on this website you better have everything and know what to do or else snobs on here with Will attack you. Bottom line if you think your hedgehog may be pregnant treat her as such because you never really know gestation is 35-40 days so just be prepared and wait its really all you can do good luck.
lifequards likes this.

Last edited by Storybrooke; 05-08-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Storybrooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

lilly_Nash, I'm sorry you think we're snobs, we just want to make sure people are breeding responsibly and not breeding more hedgehogs with WHS. I'm sorry if you think that's being a snob. Gestation is anywhere from 35 up to 55 days. You can't assume they are not pregnant until 55 days after last being in contact with a male.

Most people planning on breeding responsibly would know what signs to look for and that its very hard to say if a female hedgehog is pregnant.

Last edited by nikki; 05-08-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Josh, letting them play together, even if you're thinking of breeding them at some time, isn't a good idea. Each time they play together it causes the female to ovulate and ovulating over and over again isn't healthy for them. This is why they only come together in the wild to breed, not just to visit.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not once did I say everyone on here was a snob but you don't have to be rude or attack someone for wanting to breed obviously all any body wants is to make sure someone is not breeding them wrong but people will do whatever they want rather then attack someone with rude comments or questions why not help first then ask questions? At least they came here first and personally I strongly recommend someone wanting to breed or someone with questions go to a breeder rather then come here because all anyone on here wants to do is attack someone for wanting to breed or even think about breeding these people don't want your permission and they don't need it you want to breed OK fine but do it right. Even the most experienced breeders screw up or encounter something they haven't before not every hedgehog has the same signs of pregnancy and no matter how much research you do you still won't know how it goes until you actually do it, maybe joah didn't read anything about a hedgehog acting like this while pregnant so they asked. Joah you would have better luck finding and talking to a local breeder they respond faster and actually have a lot more experience then some people on here and they could recommend a vet if she isn't pregnant and something is wrong.
lifequards likes this.
Storybrooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly_Nash View Post
I thinks it's obvious that Joah has all the paperwork needed to safely breed I mean if you even think about mentioning the words want and breed on this website you better have everything and know what to do or else snobs on here with Will attack you. Bottom line if you think your hedgehog may be pregnant treat her as such because you never really know gestation is 35-40 days so just be prepared and wait its really all you can do good luck.
How come I was attacked when I said this? Hah!!

At least I'm not the only one.

Last edited by lifequards; 05-09-2015 at 12:55 AM.
lifequards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in