Surprise babys - Need serious help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Surprise babys - Need serious help

Sorry for the long post but I'm not even sure what I'm asking here but I need advice.

So I often let my hedgehog play around my room, there is a hallway below my bed which is very dark and she loves playing around that area. Yesterday I fell asleep while she was around my room. When I went to pick her up in the morning she wouldn't come out, and was very aggressive to me which is not common, I lured her out with food and pick her up to her cage.

So I went back to my bed curious of why she was acting like this, moved a sock from the previous day and SURPRISE! there are a few babys inside with the worst terrible timing ever and when I moved the sock I also moved one of them leaving him upside down, I used the sock he was on to turn him around but never touched him. Now my problem is that I am not sure if the space inside is enough for her to feed them and I'm worried the floor is too hard for them.

I have moved from my room to avoid disturbing her anymore. It would be ideal to have them on the cage though as it's really really big and I know it's also a terrible idea to move them, but I'm so worried she won't have enough space to feed them or that she will eat them because I moved her.

Any help is highly appreciated!
Moonkrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First off, disclaimer - I'm not a breeder & I have no experience with babies. Nikki & Nancy are the experts on that here, and hopefully one of them will be on later to see this. You can also try PMing them if you don't get a comment from one on here.

That said...personally I would move the sock and babies into the cage with mom. It's not safe for all of them to remain out in your room for the duration of the babies being with mom, and it'd be safest for them all to be in their cage. I know that comes with the risk of mom attacking the babies due to the stress of the relocation, but I would consider it worth the risk, IF this were my situation. Feel free to ignore my advice or wait for one of the experienced breeders to comment here. Hopefully mom would move the babies to a more suitable nesting area once they were in the cage, where it would be easier for her to cuddle and feed them (and also safer since socks can have strings come loose which can wrap around babies or mom's legs & feet).

Good luck and keep us updated on what's going on. Hopefully one of the breeders can confirm whether the above would be a good plan or what would be best to do.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I agree with Kelsey about putting the mom and babies back into the cage. Once you do that leave them completely alone for the rest of the day. Make sure you put food and water in the cage before you move mom and babies into the cage.
Lilysmommy and MomLady like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in