Colour help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

The breeder I got my girl from was a little confused on her colour. Her mom is an apricot and the dad is salt and pepper. Just want to know what she is

Last edited by Hegiegirl; 08-24-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Hegiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

I think she might be an apricot like her mum is.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Aaaaww. SO cute!!! What's her name?? I think she is a beautiful colour. Not sure if it matters what the specific name is haha
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

If her eyes are always red like in the third picture, she’d be an albino, but if that was just the flash, she’s most likely apricot.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Emc

I agree she looks apricot (and they have ruby-red eyes, so that factor alone doenst automatically make her albino); albino hogs are white, and she appears more yellow/orange-y and if my eyes arent deceiving me, I can also see banded quills (which will be completely absent on an albino hog who have zero pigmentation).
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 01:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
I agree she looks apricot (and they have ruby-red eyes, so that factor alone doenst automatically make her albino)
that’s true, if she were albino her snout would be flush with the rest of her face. Def looks apricot
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 02:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Emc

Apricot hogs (to my very little knowledge on hedgehog colors haha; I just find this stuff interesting!) also lack a mask like albino hedgehogs. They have the same appearance facial wise; no mask, and just a very pink/light muzzle.

The easiest way to tell them apart is just by the complete lack of pigmentation on an albino; because there are other hedgehog variations than albino who possess the red/ruby eye and lack of mask traits. &#x1f642;
Old 08-27-2019, 03:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

An apricot has a slight mask like a very light mask, which is a veryyyyy light brown. Where Albion's don't appear to have a mask at all, because its like a pinky colour but lighter than the nose

And obviously the quills are different, although some lights can seem the same. The apricot has orangey/apricot quills and Albion's are totally white.

Also the paws, an apricot has slight colour in the paws. And Albion's have no colour in the paws.

They both have the red/ruby eyes
And both have pink noses though sometimes the apricots nose can be slightly darker in pink than the albino's.

Basically, albino's don't really have a pigment to them at all because they have no melanin pigment in eyes, skin and quills and apricots have more pigment because they have a bit more melanin pigment in their quills and skin but their eyes are the same.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Actually you know what I got confused the mask and nose is like the albino! Silly me.

But she has a darker mask and a darker nose than the apricot.
Her mask looks more like the champagne (darker than the apricot but still says the face is unmasked) also the nose is darker, its a pink with a liver outer rim where the apricot is just pink.

The quills are pretty similar in colour - apricot has white quills banded by pale orange and the champagne has white quills with 75% banded by pale orange-taupe, with the rest cinnamon

The rest - red eyes, pink shoulder skin, white bellies, is all the same.

I'm thinking more champagne because of the mask and nose.
Also in one the pictures some the quills look darker than the apricots.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Emc

Don't champagne hogs have some liver on their nose though?... I also think that the flash (combined with the lighting) is given her the appearance that she has a mask, because in the other photos she appears to lack one (to me at least haha); I just see the usual very scarcely furred hog snout, which coincides with Apricot.

I dont know anything about their being pigment in their paws (I'm probably blind haha; I see none in the little glimpse we have in this hogs pics), I just find it easiest to identify the albino based on well, their total lack of pigmentation haha.

I dont think champagne here, though - I do think apricot. But like I said; i possess zero expertise when it comes to identifying hog colours - I just think this hog matches apricot more than it does champagne. The pictures are in bad lighting too - perhaps OP if you could take some during the day with natural lighting, it'll be more helpful to get a good idea as to what she looks like!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in