Help from breeders? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Help from breeders?

Hi, I have been researching hedgehog breeding for quite a while and I am going to to get into it when Styx is old enough, all I need is a female. Could anyone tell me what color of female would make the best combination for Styx? (I have been told that Styx is an Algerian Chocolate Pinto)

CrypticChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help from breeders?

Is this your first hedgehog?

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

to add to rainy also do you have a pedigree on him and a mentor to help you?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, this is my first hedgehog. I am friends with two different breeders. I do not have a pedigree for him, although I could most likely get one from the breeder. I know that his mother is an albino, his father is an algerian chocolate I believe.

CrypticChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is really important to experience the entire life cycle of one or more hedgehogs before you begin breeding. Having this experience helps you to differentiate between normal behavior of a hedgie and identifying when there is an immediate need for vet attention. Also, breeding is very expensive. It is not just possible, but probable that you will experience the loss of babies and mothers during the process. Recognizing signs of pregnancy problems and the pregnancy stages is critical and can mean the difference between saving the mom and babies and losing them. Also, because breeding is about making the breed better, rather than just producing litters, it is important to have a 5 generation lineage on each breeding hedgehog in your care. WHS, as well as other genetic diseases are disclosed in this pedigree. Please reconsider your decision to breed Styx and just enjoy him as a pet for a while. If you are really serious about breeding then it is definitely worth the wait. Plus, nearly all breeders on here will be reluctant to help you breed with a first, non-pedigreed hedgie. Please reconsider. You only just found out the color of your hog. Reading about breeding and caring for a hedgie is so much different than actually doing it.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

also lineage is different then just knowing what color mom and dad were.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would have to agree with the others.
I think its very important before you consider breeding that you own a hedgehog throughout its life span.
I have brought my hedgehogs to the vet for losing quills, sneezing blood, upper respiratory infection, allergic reaction, bleeding from the bum, cancer, lost teeth and euthanasia- all this from just simply owning two as pets! A lot of problems/illnesses happen within old age or for a variety of different reasons and I have personally spent $100's in vet bills over the years just to attend to them. When you breed, your risks of injury and illness go up and there is a hefty price tag to go along with it.

Spend Styx life span mastering in hedgehog care and then maybe consider it, I don't know many people that would want to purchase a hedgehog from a inexperienced breeder. The loss of a hedgehog is devastating I just lost my old boy in November, and I have another that is currently plagued by cancer...when you have baby hogs they can frequently be rejected or cannibalised, so it's not for everyone. When you breed your hedgehogs you put their lives at risk. It's not as simple as just getting a female and selling the babies.
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in