Hedgehog Central banner

Igloo ventilation

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  r_k_chic47 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I know I havent posted in a while, I've been checking up on things here every day but havent had many questions lately. I do have one today, however.

I was wondering how good of ventilation igloos really have. They don't look like its very good, as theres only 4 holes in the top and the large hole that they go in and out of. I just bought my little boy a medium-size igloo yesterday and put some fleece strips in it - He loves it already! But I'm just worried he's not getting enough air in there. Do you think I should drill some holes in the sides as well?

Thanks for any replies, and Pepper is doing great by the way :D

#2 ·
Personally, I think a hedgehog sleeping in an igloo is fine, ventilation wise. It stays nice and warm, and they are only sleeping. It's like my cat sleeping under my covers. I also have a fleece blanket pile for mine and he'll crawl into the middle of it all and sleep there, completely covered and surrounded by fleece.

Too many holes and your hedgie will glare at you for making his sleeping spot too bright :lol:

IMO, the ventilation issue is mostly for when they are out and active. Running around leads to more breathing. Running also leads to more poop and pee, in which good ventilation is needed so your hedgie isn't trapped with their own fumes.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, and its good to hear that the ventilation won't be an issue. Yes, it certainly does stay nice and warm in there, i have a heating pad under the liner under where the igloo is (he used to try anything possible to get under the liner so he could sleep on top of the heating pad directly, but I always made sure to get him out if i ever seen that happen - Luckily he's stopped that and just lays in his nice warm igloo now :) ) He actually doesnt dig under the fleece strips, just lays on top of them like a comfy little bed :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.