Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - heating pads vs. the other types of heating for a modified sterilite bin cage
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Musicality

I've read mixed reviews on the K&H small animal heating pad, some really did love it, some said it didn't heat enough, others said it was too hot. Maybe inconsistent product? I saw a couple people say that they used it in a sterilite bin with no issues, but still you'd need to keep the room at at least 75F since it doesn't heat the whole cage. I decided not to do the heating pad, because I didn't want to risk it.

There are 151 reviews here, so maybe that will help.
Amazon.com: K&H Heated Resting Mat for Small Animals, 9 By 12 Inches: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: K&H Heated Resting Mat for Small Animals, 9 By 12 Inches: Pet Supplies

You can make a heat lamp with CHE work in a sterilite bin, you just need to modify the top to have metal grate of some sort to be completely safe, or you could clamp it up above, but I don't trust that.

I'm going to modify my sterilite bin to have a heat lamp and CHE, but first I'm going to hit up home depot to look for a good metal grate option for the top of the cage. I'm thinking maybe one of those metal build a shelf pieces that are available in different sizes.

Last edited by Musicality; 07-31-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Musicality is offline   Reply With Quote