Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - heating pads vs. the other types of heating for a modified sterilite bin cage
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
josie oak

Default heating pads vs. the other types of heating for a modified sterilite bin cage

hello, i was wondering about fire hazards with heating recently. the cage that i have for my soon-to-be hedgehog is a modified sterilite bin with part of the top cut out and covered with mesh so as to not be too breezy and let out all heat, but not to suffocate and/or cook him. i've read all of the stuff about space heaters and ceramic heat emitters and i'm in a bit of a bind with it.

what i'm wondering is if i could use a really nice heating pad underneath most (but not all of course) of the cage floor? i think the ceramic heat emitter might melt the plastic it would be clipped to, and when it gets colder (it's really hot right now) i will be buying a space heater anyway.

if i had fabric strips and a fleece liner for the bottom of the cage, and the heating pad underneath, would that be a safe and reliable way to keep the hedgie warm without cooking it accidentally or starting a fire and the like? since it's a plastic bin and not a wire or mesh cage, i think it would trap a good amount of the heat and i would still get an electronic thermostat for the cage. is this an okay idea? or no?
josie oak is offline   Reply With Quote