Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By FinnickHog
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By DesireeM81
  • 1 Post By Tongue_Flicker
  • 1 Post By FinnickHog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bearded Dragons

I was in a pet shop the other day (I didn't buy anything - I just wanted to look at the fluffies) and saw some bearded dragons and they really took my fancy. I'm debating whether to get one but I don't know anything about them really so I was wondering if anyone knew any websites where I can get good, reliable information? Essentially I am looking for another hedgehog central but for bearded dragons

CashmereSkeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Beardies are awesome! I've never owned one but I babysit one once in a while. They make a nice starter lizard and since you've got your hedgehog husbandry sorted out, they're not much more difficult than you're used to. They do get big though!

I would suggest http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/ as a place to start your research.

You can also look at posts on www.reptileforums.co.uk using the search feature. These guys are awesome, super welcoming, and always eager to help. They helped me locate my teeny escaped male electric blue day gecko when he flew the coop a few years ago.

If after all this beardies seem like too much, take a look at leopard geckos. They're cool too (though less exciting imo; I own a 19 year old one), a more reasonable adult size, and also fairly easy to care for.

Have fun!
Tongue_Flicker likes this.
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well I use to own a Bearded Dragon (Best pet ever!!!) Mine would be out the cage all day and walk around the house my my dog and cats. All they eat is mealworms, superworms and crickets(Well what i fed mine) and veggies. You can give them a bath (With out soap). I would but mine on the couch and he would stare out the window all day, sometimes I would forget about him and look for him and he is in the same spot hehe. I would take my boy everywhere he would sit in my shoulder like a parrot. I would say a Bearded Dragon is like a small dog with scales Lol.
HedgiesJuliet+Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I also like this site a lot - https://www.beardeddragon.org/ I joined the forums on there when I was trying to save a hatchling beardie that came in at my pet store. The little guy was with me for a month and the people on there helped me a lot with advice on how to try and improve things for him and get him better.

Also if you can, check into rescuing or rehoming one! I see beardies on Craigslist a lot, unfortunately.
FinnickHog likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I was thinking of rehoming a beardie as I've heard younger ones can be difficult for a first time owner.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

The only problem with rehoming is that bearded dragons often come with MBD, metabolic bone disease from improper care and diet, and they are often underfed. Unfortunately like our quilly friends, a lot of people get bearded dragons and the set up at Petco or Petsmart which is not suitable for beardies and then rehome them when they aren't cute and small anymore. Rehoming is a great thing of course and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it just be aware that they can come with more problems than adults.

My sister wants a bearded dragon so I have been looking up on them to make sure he gets the best care in world.
Lilysmommy and FinnickHog like this.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Desiree - are there any tell tale signs of MBD? From my research so far it seems as though babies are a bit more tricky to care for than an adult, which is why I thought I should get a full grown one instead.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I second reptileforums.co.uk and captivebredreptiles.com

I'm also in both forums and guys there are great. UK/EU peeps do tend to do things a bit differently than Americans do though so just an open-mind at all times
Lilysmommy likes this.

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Here's an article on MBD in beardies http://www.beautifuldragons.com/MBD.html There are some visible symptoms but it can be pretty difficult to spot in its early stages. I personally wouldn't be able to tell an early MBD sufferer from a healthy beardie at all and I do have some experience with them.

I'd say try to find a rescue group and don't buy from somewhere like craigslist or kijiji just to be safe. There are tons of older ones around that need homes. Good on you for thinking of them!

Edit: Forgot to mention that MBD is treatable in many cases, and if you think you're up to the task, you could easily save a life!
Lilysmommy likes this.

Last edited by FinnickHog; 03-01-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added more MBD info
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in