Anyone have bettas (siamese fighting fish) here? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone have bettas (siamese fighting fish) here?

I've had my Haku for over a year now in a 3 gal. tank and I will be upgrading it to a 10 gal. tank soon. I want to give him more space, and I was hoping that maybe I could add a school of fish to his tank as well.

Now, before you say anything, I do realize that bettas are extremely aggressive fish and co-habitation with other fish really depends on the personality of the betta... From what I can see my little Haku is quite docile. My old betta, Hilton, was extremely aggressive and in comparison to him, little Haku is the sweetest thing ever. He NEVER flares, except for one time at a neon pink sticky note... He doesn't even flare at my sister's betta when we put their tanks beside each others' during our "tank clean up" day. Usually he will look with interest and then swim away (I think he just doesn't like to fight).

Does anyone have experience with bettas in a community tank? I'm asking on here because I'm sure a lot of you have aquariums and what not.

Also, I was thinking of adding around 4 corydoras to the tank? What other types of fish would get along with a betta?

And just for fun, this is Haku

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Anyone have bettas (siamese fighting fish) here?

We had a betta who lived FOREVER and was almost 4" tall when he died (is it 'tall' when it's a fish?). We had many other fish with him over the years...glass fish are safe for sure cuz they're so quick...I will ask Jamie (he's the aquarium expert) at lunch and get back to you, k?

BTW, we have two Oscars, Ralph & Bruce, who are close to 12" long...got them at the same time (they were so teeny and cute - 1" long) but they are as different as night & day...fish with personalities...who knew? (Bruce loves me...Ralph, not so much.)

Edited for spelling.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
We had a beta who lived FOREVER and was almost 4" tall (is it 'tall' when it's a fish?) when he died. We had many other fish with him over the years...glass fish are safe for sure cuz they're so quick...I will ask Jamie (he's the aquarium expert) at lunch and get back to you, k?

BTW, we have two Oscars, Ralph & Bruce, who are close to 12" long...got them at the same time (they were so teeny and cute - 1" long) but they are as different as night & day...fish with personalities...who knew? (Bruce loves me...Ralph, not so much.)
Thank you Miss C ^-^

Haha yeah, they DO have personalities, as silly as that sounds! My Haku shows a keen interest in me whenever I come near his tank (he will swim up and stare like a creeper ) but Hilton, my first betta... Oh boy, if anyone ever came near his tank he would be all KILL KILL KILL, flaring up everywhere and he's even tried to attack my hand when I was cleaning his tank lol He was such a fierce boy, I was so surprised when he died on me after a year

Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

I keep a betta at the office. A client brought me my first one & I've had them ever since. My first - named Fitch, learned to jump up & take a piece of food from my finger. It was the neatest thing ever.

But sorry, can't help with any other fish.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

My daughter has had many bettas over the years and I know she has had them in with other fish at times but I can't remember what kinds. I'll ask her.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've had quite a few betta's over the years, some lived by themselves, others (one resident at a time) lived in my 50gallon community tank of fancy guppies and mollies.

All the residents of the 50gallon tank lived in harmony, no issues with aggression from any of the betta's that lived with the guppies, and that's pretty cool I think since most of my guppies are of the super fancy colour and tail varieties.

Now... you've reminded me that I don't have a resident betta at the moment... might rescue a little gal or guy the next time I pick up some mealies/crickets. Personally the last few year's I've picked out lady betta's since people tend to pay them less attention than the showy males. :P
zorropirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

My dad had a siamese fighting fish in an aquarium with other fish.....as far as I remember (it was a looooooooong time ago) he didn't have issues with fish aggression etc...If I remember when I next speak to him, i'll ask.....
Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have one. His name is Tater Salad. He flares up over everything, including pens, paper, small stuffed animals and plastic toys. He even does it when my mom goes to feed him. I have never seen an angrier fish in my life. Since bettas need temperatures at about 75-78 degrees Fahrenheit, my mom put in a tank heater. I think the warmth is making him more active and angry at the same time.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

My betta, Skiddish, thus named because he is scared of everything, is in a wall-mounted 2 gallon tank and seems content with that. I know that when he's hungry, if I forgot to feed him, he will hit the glass as if to get my attention...

As for what fish would work well in a community with one though, sorry, I can't be of any help.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

We don't have any other fish in the tank with ours because he's so mean. I know bettas can be put in a tank with other fish like mollies, but not ones like barbs (who will nip at the fins of a betta).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in