Hedgehog noses? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog noses?

Kind of random, but... has anyone ever noticed that hedgies have a huge variety in nose length?

I mean, look at Tinkerball's short little nose:

Compared to Barry from begoodnatured.com:

Why is there such a variety? Are certain nose lengths associated with certain colours or lines?

Last edited by Katten; 12-12-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Katten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

My hedgehog zoe has a cute chubby nose that is kinda long when my other hedgehog lovey has a skinny longer nose. I think all of their little noses are ADORABLE!! And no i mean their nose might resemble their parents but color or lines really doesnt affect their little noses. Its kinda like how some kids have their parents nose, and some kids dont.
Katten likes this.
Megan_Gunthert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's a big difference. Another variable, I'm sure that's probably genetically determined.

Last night Nara's nose had a cricket leg on it! I brushed it off and told her it looked kind of weird.
Her nose is medium, not long or short.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

This is a common variety and most people believe it comes from their different ancestors; the four-toed (white bellied) hedgehog and the Algerian (North African) hedgehog.
Our APH are more similar to the four-toed hedgehog but there are still differences between APH like size, quill/mask colour and body/face shape.

The fact that they look more like the four-toed has led me to believe this species had a way bigger impact in creating our pets; either because they made up the majority of imported hedgehogs back in the days, or their traits are simply more dominant.
Ever since I got my pure Algerian (North African) hedgehog I've wondered how much of the hybrid-story is actually true, since I still haven't found anyone who has experience with the real Algerian species (you'd think there would be people who've had them as pets if they were used to breed the APH) and looking at pictures of the wild versions it looks like the four-toed hedgehog is almost exactly the same as the APH while you can hardly see traits of the Algerian hedgehog in our pets.
Even the colour guide doesn't seem to be very accurate in naming the colours 'Algerian' and 'white bellied' since most of the pictures I've found of the wild species show that the four-toed hedgehog is actually quite dark, while the majority of the Algerian hedgehogs seems to be way lighter - exactly the opposite of what the colour guide suggests.

Four-toed hedgehog - Atelerix albiventris

Another four-toed hedgehog; this one seems to be having a longer snout (so if this trait in our APH is coming from the Algerian hedgehog isn't 100% sure either, since some four-toed hedgehogs seem to have longer noses as well)

Wild four-toed hedgehog that was being kept as a pet in Niger (pic from Kimberley Goertzen)

Wild hoglet four-toed rescued in Central Africa

As you can see the wild four-toed hedgehog often has a dark, muddy quill colour with a mask that extends under the eyes as well.
They also have the smaller paws we know from our pet APH, with, of course, the four toes on the back feet.

The wild North African hedgehog is bigger, has larger paws (with five toes instead of four) and a longer nose. The legs are longer as well and often darker in colour than the fur (which is thicker and longer than that of the four-toed). The mask often extends under the eyes and can be very dark and big, although it isn't necessary. Most of them are a light grey colour with light fur although their whole body can be very dark as well. The majority of them seems to be on the lighter side of the spectrum. I haven't seen many as dark as my own. If you want to see more pictures of them I suggest you look for 'erizo moruno' since they also live in certain parts of Spain (this is their Spanish name, you will find more pics when you search for Spanish websites. Other search options often just show you pics of APH).
They are really fast runners and climbers due to their big paws.

North African hedgehog - Atelerix algirus

A darker masked Algerian with visible darker feet/legs

So if you go with the hybrid theory, by breeding the APH we have been mixing these two species more and more. This is why a lot of people don't distinguish between Algerian/white bellied anymore when it comes to determining a hedgehog's colour. Masks, quill colour and bodyshape have become so mixed it can be hard to tell the difference.

Hope this was useful. And last but not least my own North African who seems to be exceptionally dark. Haven't found many like this, I personally like it a lot.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow. This was a great post Draenog.

We need to bookmark this because every so often someone asks the difference between the Algerian and the White-bellied.

Your North African is totally beautiful! Love the dark coloring.
Draenog and Katten like this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! I tried to find more example pictures but it's so hard to find pics of four-toed hegehogs, 99% you find on Google images is APH

Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

One of the reasons I chose my girl was for her short little nose! I love them stubby sniffers! I also love the way some hedgies also appear to have a slight widow's peak in their forehead quill line, while others' quills run straight across.
MomLady and Katten like this.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, Draenog, your hedgehog is so unusual and beautiful! I have never seen such a dark one, he/she almost looks like a wild British hog!
Draenog and Katten like this.
MoominMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think you mean European hedgehog (they live in almost all of mainland Europe as well). They do look a bit similar, esp since she is so dark And thank you!

Old 12-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ah I didn't know they were in all of Europe!
MoominMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in