SO Frustrated. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry SO Frustrated.

Hi everyone. This is going to be a bit of a rant, so buckle up. I've only been a member of HHC for a few months and yet I've seen COUNTLESS posts by completely uniformed hedgie owners. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Among my favorites are "I didn't know hedgehogs needed a wheel", "But I can't afford that/don't want to spend that much", and "Do I actually need to heat my hedgehog's cage?". I spent months researching hedgehog's needs and behaviors before I got Rosie Mae and yet I'm still learning every day. That being said, it absolutely baffles me that people go out and just get a hedgehog on a whim. Newsflash: Hedgehogs are living, breathing creatures with very particular care requirements! They should NEVER under ANY circumstances be purchased just for kicks and giggles. It can cost hundreds of dollars to get everything that a hedgehog needs to live comfortably, and that doesn't even include the price of the little buggers themselves! If you can't afford to get a hedgie everything that he or she needs, then don't get one. Plain and simple. Apart from the basic physical care that a hedgehog needs, they need to be loved too! If you don't have the time to dedicate to forming and keeping a bond with your hedgie, then you should probably hold off on getting a pet. I'm by no means trying to sound high and mighty, it just really irks me that people take getting a hedgehog (or any pet, for that matter) so lightly.

MintyBanana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

i agree with what you say but not everyone is miss or uninformed just due to being careless or ignorant.

at a lot of pet stores, many animals including hedgehogs are housed improperly and sold without further information.

same could be said for betta fish. we have all seen them in those little cups. it is common practice and they are sold as fish that require no filtration, a tiny bowl, and minimal food. fact is it is a tropical fish requiring heating and any water creature requires filtration to thrive. try convincing people of that. its impossible.

there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the care of many animals. it is unfortunate but not always 100% the fault of the animal owner.

coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Coffeebean is right. I had researched hedgies in reasonable depth before I allowed one to come into my home. I knew about food and temperature and cages. Check, the only thing I really didn't know about was breeding, and since I was just getting one I figured I didn't need to know, right? And I had read up on sexing but the sites I found didn't have photos, so it was hazy. But I had the basics, and I was reasonably prepared. Right?
Not so much.
Fortunately this site has just about everything even the least prepared owner would need for almost any situation.
The problem, in my humble opinion, isn't necessarily pet stores or unprepared care givers, but a fast food society where many people expect everything to be handed to them. No work to look up their own simple answers. It's all here. Food, cages, heating, special needs, bonding techniques, General health issues, how to find a vet, breeding, babies and what you can do to help your hedgie have the best life possible.
I come here to share my stories. My experiences. And to read others experiences. But almost every question I had I was able to look up and at least get an idea. Then, I asked for opinions from more experienced people.
But then, if everyone did that, it would be a rather quiet forum, would it not?
Nancy, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 3 others like this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think a lot of my frustration comes from not uninformed owners but from those that refuse to take the advice they asked for.

I think heating is the biggie here. When someone asks if they need a heat setup and everyone says in some variety that yes they need one and then don't get one and wait till the first freeze or hibernation attempt, that irks me.

I love how active and engaging this community is though
Nancy, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 3 others like this.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

My pet peeves are unrealistic behavior expectations and people who have owned a hedgie for six weeks and want to start breeding.
There are always threads about grumpy hedgies or "my hedgie hates me".
We are always trying to discourage breeding with hedgies that don't have pedigrees or just want cute babies. I am a strong believer that no one should breed until they have had at least one hedgie for its whole life.
Also some people want things immediately instead of waiting until they are at a more stable and financially able to care for an exotic pet.
That being said, they are the cutest animals!
Once you earn their trust it makes it all worth it.
Thanks to all who do share their advice and experience.
ML
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know the feeling of being high irritated by people's lack of TRYING. I know what it is like to be misinformed, but thankfully I knew the facts at the time. The "expert" vet that I brought Adella to had no correct knowledge of hedgehogs. But someone could reasonably believe that since she's the expert that she knows best. Still, I agree this site has everything. It's great that it is here.
CoffeeKat likes this.
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Des, there's a name for people who ask for advice and then ignore it: "askholes"
nikki, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 8 others like this.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for that. I truly needed it at the moment.
CoffeeKat and gracefulchaos01 like this.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeKat View Post
Des, there's a name for people who ask for advice and then ignore it: "askholes"
that is brilliant

coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Definitely agree with a couple of you - my biggest frustrations are those who ask for advice, then don't take it, and those who want to breed right away. Really, the breeding thing upsets me far more. I know it's a matter of opinion, but I honestly just do not understand why people are so set on breeding as soon as possible. I don't see what's so hard about waiting a few years and doing a lot more research, enjoying hedgehogs as a pet, etc. It's not like we've told you to wait for the 30+ year lifespan of a horse or something.

Likewise, I have absolutely no patience for those who are in a position of authority & don't take that seriously & take care with the information they give out - namely, pet stores and veterinarians. People expect both of these groups to know what they're talking about and will take them as the Word of God, so to speak. If you're in that kind of position, you have a responsibility to make sure the information you're passing along is up-to-date, correct, and SAFE. Nothing infuriates me more than reading about someone's bad experience with a pet store or vet, especially when they're a new owner and still unsure of what's best for their new baby.
nikki, MomLady, CoffeeKat and 2 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in