Worse day of my life. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Worse day of my life.

Crying my eyes out right now, went to a pet store to get check out their CHE lights... see a cage with hedgies in them go to see and pick up this little boy, he's coughing, sneezing, and can barley breath, there are bubbles of snot dripping from his nose. T he guy working had no idea about ANYTHING with hedgehogs, I told him if he took off the money to take him to the vet I would take him. He said he wasn't the manager and call back tomorrow. He was cool to the touch, I put him on my chest he instantly snuggled into it for the warmth. I want to save him so bad I told the guy he needed to warm him up and keep him at 80 degrees and away from the others he just said okay and put him back in the cage. so after I pulled over right up the street to cry and decided to go back and demand to talk to a manager, the guy comes in and picks the baby out of the cage by pinching a couple of his quills and lifting him out, then he tried to feed him a meal worm, didn't eat it, then a live wax worm, still didn't eat it, he said it was "fine just sneezing because he comes shipped to us in saw dust! it will clear up in a couple days!" I was like NO IT WON'T CLEAR UP AND YOU NEED TO WARM HIM UP NOW! the guy goes to put it back in the cage with the others and drops it in this huge water dish, laughs and just sets the soaking sick hedgehog back in the cage, he was already cold bellied!!!!! Then he said that it was fine and that it would be the full $260 dollars. I wouldn't be able to pay for the vet bills even if I had gotten him. So I am sobbing and decide to drive to the animal shelter right up the street to report them. I got there at the perfect time as there was 2 different animal control officers at the shelter. I told them what had happened and that they were neglecting it, infecting the other babies, and refused to take it to the vet or sell it to me so I could get it to the vet. The officer I talked to was extremely nice and I could tell he really cared. I told him how dehydrated he was ( I pinched his skin and it didn't move back at all, he couldn't even move he was so sick) and that I didn't think he would live another day or so without medical attention. They are going to file it tonight so they can go there tomorrow to check it out. They are hopefully going to call me.... I am still so distraught, and cannot stop crying..
shetland and Katten like this.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is exactly why I don't go into pet stores or read Craig's list, because I want to save them all from abuse, or neglect, or ignorance and I know that I just can't. It breaks my heart. I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. My only advice would be to file a complaint or request an inspection from the USDA, which has to license and inspect pet stores that sell hedgehogs. This probably will not help the sick baby you found, but it might result in better care in the future or having their license pulled.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I contacted the welfare society so they are looking into their license
CoffeeKat, Katten and indirak like this.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

What pet store is that? That is absolutely illegal. I'm glad you reported that as soon as you could. If they call you back please keep us posted. I already don't like seeing ferrets in one of our pet store (even though it's not their fault when it's usually people who drop them off), I'm terrified of finding hedgehogs because of that exact reason.

Also, it's actually a thing that if the pet store cannot keep the animal alive on their own (which obviously in this case they can't) you CAN take it WITHOUT having to pay anything because they expect you to use that money towards the betterment of the animal. I got 2 betta fish that way because fish conditions, especially betta, are absolutely horrendous, as with most, unfortunately.

I'll look into that more and report back so if you need it you can actually show them proof of that.
Katten likes this.

Last edited by Lady; 08-05-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am so glad you were there and that you reported this pet store. Poor hedgehogs. My friend had to do a similar thing when the ferrets at the pet store she worked at were sick and her district manager didn't care. The humane society took the ferrets away from the store and rehomed them. Hopefully this is what will happen with these poor little hedgehogs.
Katten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

It was Scales and Tails in Castle Rock, Colorado. There were two different guys working who told me it was fine! The little cage had a red heat lamp but was probably only 70 degrees, no wheel, huge water dish, and just dirty. I was disgusted. I have never seen such horrendous conditions in my life. I wish everyone would call them or at least yelp review saying to NOT buy from them and that they abuse and neglect animals!!!! I hope they call me too... I am praying he gets the hel'l out of there asap, I hope he makes it... If they call me I will keep you all updated. I'm afraid they won't do it
Katten likes this.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have you heard anything? Are those poor hedgies okay?
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

They didn't ever call me back. I don't know what to do, I might drive past there tomorrow...I would be afraid to go in after what happened. They would either kick me out or call the cops.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

If they called the cops they'd have to answer to the cops on their own poor animal conditions.

I don't want to tell you what to do or suggest anything out of place, but I would go back to see if they're even still alive (poor babies...) and demand to talk to the manager.

The part I said about being able to get an animal free if they're going to blatantly ignore it's life like that was sadly more of a regulation and not a law like I thought it was. Unfortunately it's up to the manager. However, I was able to get two fish that way, and if you wanted to try to convince the manager, I would give it a shot. I had said, "This fish is going to die if you leave it in these conditions, and I don't expect much to change about that." I explained the wrong conditions, and in the end they were just like, you really want this stupid fish take it, jeez.

They have absolutely no place laughing at the misfortune of animals. I would even call the shelter back and ask if they had any more word on it.

Pet stores should not sell pets. They should sell pet supplies
Crowley is loved and ellarose like this.

Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I did say that it was going to die and that they didn't do anything and the guy just talked to me like I was stupid. One of my hedgie friends said to say I was in the hedgehog welfare society (if any of you are reading this it was for a good reason and I wouldn't have said it in ANY other situation) so they would believe me more that I knew what I was talking about (which I did know what I was talking about) and the guy just talked to me like I was a child and knew nothing about hedgehogs even though I have spent YEARS researching it before I even got one and 10 times even more searching and research. The manager was the weird guy who walked in from the parking lot, the one who picked it up by the quills. The kid tried to pretend he wasn't there!!! I am more afraid of going back and it did die... I don't know if I can mentally handle that. I don't know if any of you know I am the biggest animal lover ever. I spent 24 hours a day with animals, at home, at work. It will break my heart.
Katten likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in