Worse day of my life. - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

I have contacted the USDA, the shelter gave me it as well as the HWS I do know what the difference I was just stating that I did say I was doing other things. And I don't know anyone who is crying on a forum and not doing anything else. When you find that person let me know.
Katten likes this.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeKat View Post
Lady, I would be interested in seeing your source of information regarding regulations on consumers being able to legally confiscate sick animals from pet stores. It may have worked for beta fish, but I seriously doubt that a business would willingly relinquish an animal with a triple-diget price tag because someone demanded they do so. I could be totally wrong, so please see if you can find this regulation. My concern is that someone who reads your comments may try to do exactly as you recommended and without proof in hand that this IS a regulation, could end up in legal trouble.
Oh, shoot, I'm sorry I didn't even think of that.

If it's okay with the mods that part can be edited out because as much as I have searched and asked around and hoped to find something, I haven't been able to find any more on it other than pet stores don't count 6-7 dollar fish (which is much less than a triple digit as you said) as much of a loss, or in enough demand. I don't want anyone to take that too far on my own wishful thinking.

I'm super disappointed though
CoffeeKat likes this.

Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #23 (permalink)

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal...wa_inspections

This will be my final post on this thread, but it occurs to me that abuse and neglect of a hedgehog could be a subjective thing, which may be why local authorities are reluctant to get involved. If the animal is kept in reasonably clean housing, with food and water available, those not familiar with the myriad special needs of hedgehogs would likely consider that meeting minimum requirements is enough. Of course we know better. It's up to us to educate and advocate for hedgehogs, but we must initially do this with a gentle hand, realizing that being combative and superior will totally negate any message we try to deliver.

First we try to educate, then we inform ("I have no choice but to file a complaint with the USDA, so be prepared for an inspection.") Then we do as Kelsey said: we follow up again and again and again until we just wear them down. We ask friends and family to help.

Here's a link to the USDA website, with a lot of other links included, as well as a complaint form and how to file it.
Nancy, nikki, Lilysmommy and 4 others like this.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Kat I have already filed a complaint as stated above...twice... I filed it on Tuesday.
CoffeeKat likes this.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Also, great job guys, you're probably the only people in the world who actually put down a person who is trying to do something good and trying to save a poor baby. That's not an easily acomplishable task.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #26 (permalink)

I honestly think that AlexLovesOlive is doing what she can. It is very stressful to do something like this and I know a lot of people wouldn't do what she is/has done.
Kelsey was not trying to be rude but I can see how it could be interpreted as rude.
I believe that Alex is doing all that she can and will continue to do so until action is taken. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is just mine. We're all here for the same reason.
CoffeeKat likes this.

NewHedgieOwner100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I was not trying to offend you. I was a bit harsher than usual in my post - which I rarely do - because it didn't seem like much was getting done from your previous posts. I already explained what you said or didn't say in your previous posts that caused me to post my initial comment. The point of my post was to make sure action was taken to help the hedgehogs, and to make sure others reading the post see what options can be taken in this kind of situation, should they encounter one. If you're taking those actions, fine, that's good. I hope the hedgehogs end up getting the intervention they need from the authorities, and the store is properly dealt with for neglecting them. My corrections in my last post were again to also make sure anyone reading the thread are clear on which organization needs to be contacted in a situation with pet store neglect or abuse - the USDA. Given how many people visit this forum and read past threads for advice & information, we try to make sure that things stay clear and informative for many people as well as the OP. It's why often the mods add warnings to posts or remind people that such-and-such is a dangerous thing to try or something is not recommended, etc.

This is also my last post on the topic. I'm glad you're doing something to help the hedgehogs. I was not attacking you or putting you down. If you want to be upset at me for being blunter than usual in an attempt to make my point clear, go ahead. I'm not going to continue to argue or debate over what you said or didn't say you were doing though. I've been enjoying the lack of drama on this forum lately and would like it to stay that way. If you would like to discuss further, feel free to PM me.
Nancy, nikki, Amanda:) and 2 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 01:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

When did this happen I went to that store and purchased a healthy boy, who is doing great.
lcoopman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #29 (permalink)

Oops I'm sorry I bought him from Parker exotic pets.
lcoopman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLovesOlive View Post
Also, great job guys, you're probably the only people in the world who actually put down a person who is trying to do something good and trying to save a poor baby. That's not an easily acomplishable task.

take a deep breath.

it is very hard on a forum to really get across feelings and sometimes when we are emotionally charged we read things the wrong way. on both sides, not just you alexlovesolive.

i dont think anyone is trying to upset you or put you down intentionally. i think everyone is just very concerned and wants action taken.

you have obviously taken way more steps towards action then most people would upon seeing this in a store and for this, thank you. more people need to speak out and take action when they see neglect and abuse in both animals and people.

I hope that some sort of resolution comes from this. I hope the place gets a deep inspection.

*hugs*
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in