Girl has hedgie 3 months...decided to become a breeder... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Thumbs down Girl has hedgie 3 months...decided to become a breeder...

Facepalm! Got kicked out of a hedgie group because this girl who is on her 1st hedgie and has only had her 3 months wants to become a breeder. She can't even pick up her own hedgehog bare handed! So I was like "hey it's always a good idea to own at LEAST 1 hedgehog it's entire life before breeding, I would recommend owning 2 their entire lives to get some experience!" She yelled at me saying I didn't know what I was talking about and then They kicked me out of the group. I was trying to be as nice as possible.. and that's ALL I said... This is why there is a problem in the hedgehog community...EVERYONE wants to become a breeder, also she didn't care about bloodlines, or temperament and is very broke.... Why.... just why. I wish more states required licenses to breed an animal..to keep stupid people from doing it... Like you have only owned a hedgehog for 1/10th of its lifespan..3 months is NOT very long to understand them enough or have enough knowledge to become a breeder. Not to mention it is extremely expensive for everything they need... sigh...
DaegSteorra and MeyMey like this.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unfortunately there's no lack of stupid in this world. I can understand the desire to breed them, they're cute critters, but that's basically all a lot of people take into consideration. Food, extra supplies, time, vet bills, don't really phase people. I feel like a lot of people will choose to breed or even adopt an animal and decide to slack on certain things like regular check ups and heating. Charlie for example, her first owner had no heating and said she attempted to hibernate once. They also thought she was a boy, which told me she obviously never took her to the vet. Charlie ended up costing just above 2,000$ In only a few months and she didn't even make it. Three months is definitely not long enough to become a breeder. I think it's funny they kicked you off, people are too sensitive. Always nice coming on this site and seeing how dedicated everyone is to their prickle baby
MomLady, The_Senator and CoffeeKat like this.

Last edited by Charlie's mommy; 08-03-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Charlie's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I know!!! I was like ugh really? The post she was like "Hey thinking about breeding please give me suggestions and criticism but don't be mean!!!" and I said that and she was like 'this is not the group for you, you need to be nice" I was like wow okay hahahaha. I know what you mean too... Olive lived in an itsy bitsy cage, no heat, no toys, just a wheel, water, food, blanket... and that was cramping her cage. I have spent about 1k on her so fat in the short time I have had her, new everything, heating, vet bills... and that's just 1 hedgie.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Reasons I don't go on Facebook hedgehog groups anymore! No criticism allowed, no matter how nicely you give it. I'd rather hang out here, where I can actually help people. And unfortunately, this whole scenario has happened so many freaking times over the past five years I've been here. People don't usually listen once they've set their mind on wanting baby hedgies.
Nancy, shetland, MomLady and 6 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

That's one reason why I never make comments on Facebook. There are way too many overly sensitive people who want everything through rose coloured glasses. What I really don't understand is why people even bother asking a question if they aren't prepared for honest answers and answers they may not like. The fact that she said "don't be mean", tells me she knows already knows what she is planning is not a good idea but wants some other misguided idiot to give approval.

What really annoys me is the ones who don't even own a hedgehog yet and are buying a pair with plans to breed. Not only do they have no clue about how to care for a hedgehog, but they have no clue if they even like hedgehogs.

I could rant all day.
nikki, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 5 others like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh geez! I love my pokey kids. I really do. But breeding them? After everything I went through with Sebastian? Not only no, but hedoubletoothpicks no. Too much drama and stress. If I want more hedgehogs I'll just do rescues or hook up with a breeder, and if I want the baby experience again I can always just get another "boy" from the pet store.
Good gravy. Some peoples kids. ~sigh~

Though I do reserve to right to change my mind in the event my life circumstances change or I just gain wisdom through osmosis or something.
gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't really know what facebook groups do?? Discussions? Lol My girlfriend and I haven't had a facebook in over 5 years. I don't do drama lol.

That's too bad that girl is going to breed if she only had a hedgie 3 months and can't even pick it up bare hand. She wants to breed but won't take any guidance? I can only I imagine the disaster waiting to happen. Poor hedgies
Nancy and AlexLovesOlive like this.
ellisrks01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Am I allowed to ask what group it was? I joined the Facebook groups as well and have also noticed some extreme sensitivity.

Personally I don't get it, when id read on here and find out I was doing something wrong id panic and feel awful for Benny, not get defensive! Like I didn't know about the CHE's at first and once I found out it was like OMG I NEED TO GET ONE IMMEDIATELY EVEN THOUGH ITS SUMMER AND WARM ENOUGH.

Some people eh.

Shainahmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, I didn't even know there were Facebook groups for that kind of thing! They have stuff for everything these days. I agree with Nancy though, why ask a question when you don't want to hear a negative answer to it? It seems as though this girl is just looking for approval for something she has no clue about. Unfortunately that's the deal with most social media these days
Nancy and CoffeeKat like this.

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

This just makes be upset. I can never see myself breeding, to be honest. I still have my first two hedgehogs, but I don't plan on ever breeding in the future. It is truly sad to think of that hedgehog, since her owner cannot clearly give her proper care and is planning on breeding her. I can only see a disaster waiting to happen.
Nancy, shetland and CoffeeKat like this.
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in