Anyone in Oklahoma up for a road trip? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gracefulchaos01
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Anyone in Oklahoma up for a road trip?

Hey guys! So, slightly weird post, but we're getting a bit desperate, so I figured I'd give it a try!

Is there anyone in Oklahoma (preferably around Oklahoma City, or anywhere between there & Kansas City) who would possibly be willing to transport an African sulcata (spurred) tortoise down to Arlington, Texas? Let me give the background story here...

This pretty girl (well, we don't know for sure, but she's been temporarily named Matilda, so we're going with girl ) came to Wildside, the wildlife rehab center I volunteer at, having been found wandering down the road by herself. So far, we've gotten zero calls about her, not even a suspected owner or interested person. A volunteer went out to check the area where she was found & it was nothing but farmland for miles. So it seems pretty likely this little one just got dumped.

I'm going to be travelling to Kansas City, KS tomorrow to stay with a friend for 9 days. I have a person from my FB raw feeding group who is going to take the tortoise & give her an amazing home. Problem is, she's in Arlington and is having trouble finding a ride up to Oklahoma City. We do have a last-ditch, no-other-options person, but I just thought I'd see if we had anyone on here who could help out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (2).jpg (219.8 KB, 18 views)

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hope you find someone!
Lilysmommy likes this.
gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Oomggg i need her!!!!!!!
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I really wish I could keep her myself, but...I just won't be in a situation where it'd be ideal for her, not for a couple years. She's small and adorable now, but she's also only 5 years old. These guys can live for 50 years or more, and they get to be 100-200 pounds. They like to dig and burrow, and they're extremely strong! And though she was stressed & didn't give us a great example for a few days, apparently they're eating machines. We finally did find something in the yard she'll eat, and I'm picking up some stuff this morning on my way to pick her up, to see if I can't tempt her. I know the trip is going to be a bit stressful on her, but she'll have an amazing home waiting at the end of it, at least!
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

An update on Nixon the tortoise!

We're in Kansas now and she's enjoying my friend's back yard. She'll be continuing on to Oklahoma with me either tomorrow or Wednesday, to meet up with her new owner and return to Texas. There's a cardinal pair in the yard that's been absolutely fascinated with Nixon...it's SO cute! The male spent almost 20 minutes following her along the fence line this morning and just flew over to about 5 feet away from me to see her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (9).jpg (236.2 KB, 17 views)
MomLady and Melanie G. like this.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

MEH SO CUTE and yeah they live forever, Did you know that Steve Erwin had a pet tort that was originally Darwins?!?!?! I have wanted a tort, for forEVER. My moms best friend in collage had 2 and they just passed a couple years ago (my mom is 51!)
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in