Super ANGRY! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Super ANGRY!

So I was just browsing around on Craigslist when I saw 3 hedgehogs for sale. I looked at the location and they are in a VERY bad part of town. The lady listing them pretty much just said "Dis heghogs are for sale $275 firm" I messaged the lady because I was wondering if she was a breeder or what and she was like "I bred my two pets so I could sell these ones. We need the money" I asked her some more questions and she pretty much knows NOTHING about hedgehogs...I am surprised they survived at all. People are so cruel and stupid. She wouldn't take any less money... I told her that she is charging way more than hedgehogs with perfect pedigrees cost...UGH angry at people..Sorry just had to vent about the stupidity and greed of some people.
Nancy and MomLady like this.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

~grumble~ people can be dumb.
gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Sadly, with how much hedgehogs cost now and with all the recent publicity about them, these types of people crawl out of the woodwork. Their only concern is to make money.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes well you can get a great deal on hedgies if you pick them up at a pet store. I got 5 for the low low price of just 1.
~note dripping venomous sarcasm~
gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah she was like 'I am charging less than most breeders who just do it for money they charge you a deposit then 300 dollars" I was like no they charge you a 60 dollar deposit and then another $140 for pick up...These hedgehogs are also parasite, mite, and whs free... They have pedigrees and all the hedgehog breeders in the Denver Metro area are very small hobby breeders who take pride in breeding and generally care about them, I am in contact with 3 of them" She's like "U hav to wait for dem and dis are ready now, they need small space and r easy pets they sleep while you work and you just feed dem" that's where I started really getting upset....I went off saying NO THEY AREN'T EASY PETS!!! They are very very time consuming and expensive, they require lots of time and money. I was like if I got one from you I would have to pay a $200 vet visit to get a fecal smear, skin test, and overall exam to make sure she was even okay not to mention there is NO guarantee she doesn't have a HORRIBLE disease known as WHS!!!! NOT TO MENTION they require MORE SPACE than any other animal their size... They require huge cages and it really isn't good to keep them in small ones. She replied with "you need small tubs" ugh...I want to save them but can't afford 300 PLUS even if I did I wouldn't give her it because that's enabling more of this sickening breeding.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

You could put in a call to animal control letting them know you suspect neglect or abuse. Then they could go check it out. It could be that this idiot is actually doing most of it right, and if that's the case then she goes about her business. If her animals are not getting proper care and treatment they can be removed from the home without having to fork over money to scum like that. Or maybe get in touch with any rescue organizations in the area and have them do the leg work?
phoenix1964 likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

But I doubt animal control is going to care if she is using a dangerous wheel and cages too small...
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Won't know unless you try. She may also have them in squalid conditions and too many animals to a cage. She could also be inbreeding the animals. Backyard breeding regardless of the species is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's why we have so many homeless, abused and diseased animals in the world. You can also tell animal control what's needed to keep hedgehogs healthy, although it's possible that they already have protocols for it. It's just a thought though. You made it sound pretty bad and I would assume she's keeping them in rather poor conditions that even somebody who has never heard of a hedgehog would know is bad.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah I will do that, she tried to tell me she has been on this site and did "a lot of research" on these animals but had no idea that mesh wheels were extremely dangerous to hedgehogs, also didn't know about pedigrees, or care about WHS. She said that she was saving them for "terrible breeders who keep them in small boxes and don't care" when she told me she keeps them in the "medium size boxes" Im not sure what that even means. I flagged her post on craigslist because breeders can't post there but they didn't take them down so I am about to reflag them because she can't actually sell them on craigslist. I also am making another post about her on craigslist saying warning to potential buyers.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ugh! The lady sounds dreadful! There's a breeder in my area (not the registered, good quality breeder who I would recommend) but a breeder who sells on craigslist! I get so irritated with them because craigslist is for adoption, not selling. Every post is like: "I would love to keep them, but I just can't. $250 for them." And I know it's them posting again with a new batch of babies because the write the same thing and cost the same.
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in