Chinchilla - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chinchilla

A woman had an ad up on Craigslist to get rid of her chinchilla. She had two brothers, one of them was starting to be more dominate over the other and she was worried they would fight to the death. The supposedly aggressive chinchilla, never bonded with her, wouldn't come over to her, and may have bitten her -she wasn't very clear- but she punished it by setting it outside for awhile in 93 degree heat (they can't survive past 75 degrees). She said in her ad if no one came to pick up the chinchilla by 9 p.m. she was going to pelt it or possibly set it free out in the wild.

A lot of people came after her, calling animal abuse shelters and reporting her. At first I offered to give it a home without the rehoming fee. She was asking for $60 and wouldn't budge. So it was either pay the rehoming fee, or she might go through with releasing it outside or having it pelted. It was emotional blackmail.

I adopted this 4 month old chinchilla tonight. He will have a great home and be taken care of

I didn't know what to do with him once I got him home. So I closed off half of my ferret nation cage with my ferrets up on top, and gave the chin the lower half. I've been researching all night on how to care for chins. Oh my god dust baths are expensive. Do you guys think I can let the chin run on a Carolina Storm Wheel or should I get one of those steel/wood ones?
nougat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Chinchilla

Chins chew, so you're better off getting a different wheel for yours

He is so cute though!

What a horrible woman, I hope she gets arrested for what she did to him!

I love chins, they are adorable, but I don't think I can deal with how much attention, space, etc that they require, especially with a cat and a hedgie.

Good for you for rescuing him! I'm glad he has found a lovely home
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Kudos to you for saving this adorable chin ! A good chin site is Chins n Hedgies
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/index.php
A metal wheel would probably be best since chins will chew on stuff.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Please move him out of the half FN that the ferrets are in and get him his own cage in another room. Ferrets are predators and chins prey and living that close to ferrets could stress him to death.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

As already mentioned... I highly recommend to visit and join the Chins-n-Hedgies web forum. Read through the many FAQs on that site on how to care for chinchillas. You will learn a lot very fast on that site. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com.

While chinchilla wheels are expensive, they are well worth the money. Take a look at the Quality Cage Company. The sell both Chin Spins (you'll want the 15" model) and metal flying saucers. Both are highly recommended chinchilla wheels.

I also will second getting that chinchilla away from your ferrets. He is likely already stressed from a new home, and being that close to ferrets will stress him even more.

Visit CnH. People over there are very friendly, you'll see some familiar names, and will learn a ton as it is an excellent resource for all things chinchilla. You will also find folks who sell dust and its cheaper and better quality stuff than you find in pet stores.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought another ferret nation cage this morning but it will take about two weeks until it gets here.

One of the ferrets we took in awhile ago came with a cage of his own. He has a good temperament and gets along with the other ferrets during play time. I could move him into the ferret's FN cage, and give his cage to the chinchilla, temporarily. He has one of those green and purple ferret cages, with plastic shelves that I could replace with ledges. How about that?

I love Chins-n-Hedgies. I've bookmarked so much info on ledges, daybeds, hay feeders, hideouts and bass pans, I don't even know where to begin. I just wish the forum was more organized like HHC is. And I think I already saw Nancy on there.
nougat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

You are an angel, and that woman is a monster. Thank you for getting him out of there, you saved his life.
There's never enough.
All we wanna do is have a good time,
Having lots of fun with all these friends of mine.
All we wanna do is celebrate.
Every time we've been together, it's been great.
Looking for adventure, big and small.
Just being with our friends like you is all we wanna do.
Sela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Make sure you are truly prepared to keep this chin for the rest of his life. Chins can live up to 30 years, with 12 to 20 the average for well kept animals. They must be kept at 72 degrees or less with no wiggle room. They must have high quality pellet, high quality hay at all times. They do not get food treats with the exception of rose hips and chamomile flowers. Apple or willow sticks are safe treats. They must be dusted two to three times a week and dust is a killer for electronics. It goes everywhere.

They poop non stop. They must have a wheel. Everything for a chinchilla must be chew proof or chin safe and they are always expensive. Vets are hard to find and very expensive-more so than hedgehogs. And chins hide illness so it's never minor when you see it.

If any of this throws you for a loop, turn him over to rescue before he bonds to you.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think Hedgehom cover it well. I may also add be prepared for tooth problem (specially if he doesn't have good lineage). I did experienced that with my (which became my ex-b/f's chin) chin. In the end we had to put it to sleep cause it was really serious, expensive and that surgery wouldn't cure him anyway.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

That lady needs to be pelted or be "set free" and see if she can survive in the wild be herself with no help from anyone!
You are so kind to have saved him!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in