Seen April's National Geographic issue yet? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seen April's National Geographic issue yet?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...pets-hedgehog/

A cute hedgie called Jade graces the cover. Makes me wish my dad still has his subscription to National Geographic; I really would love to read that article....
Aether and lilsurfergrlsp like this.
Altearithe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Aw so cuuute!!! Although the title of the article makes me wonder if they have a lot of misinformation on hedgehogs or not. o_O

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ILikeSpikes

Use code SUMMER10 to get 10% off until July 12th!

Aether is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm gonna guess it's going to be a lot of "exotic pets are bad and make terrible pets and no one should have them at all, everyone should have only dogs and cats for pets", if it's anything like Animal Planet, Humane Society, etc. in recent years. Or at least, that'll be one side of the debate, I'm sure. Also this reminds me I've been wanting to get a subscription to NatGeo!
Aether and hlsiefken like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wonder too, Aether. D:

That's my guess too, Lilysmommy. I'm hoping that NG didn't go that route, but unless I can get my hands on the issue I won't know for sure. >___< Actually, I should try digging around their site to see if they eventually post up their articles. o.o

(Also, yeah, I've been thinking about getting a sub for it too. XDD Probably should since they've got awesome stuff usually.)
Aether and hlsiefken like this.
Altearithe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm actually getting my baby from the guy whose Hedgehogs were used for the cover photo.
I haven't read it or anything but, reading what he wrote, it sounds like his participation was just the photo shoot.. I've no idea where the article info comes from.
The website is.. Really bad... :/
I'm only linking it because he has some information about the National Geographic stuff, I hope that's okay

http://carolinahedgehog.net

- Sarah
Lilysmommy and hlsiefken like this.
Latrine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

The article is about exotic animal ownership. I teach sixth grade, and this article is perfect for many reasons. First, my kids all know about Penny so they will love the cover. Also, the article is all about what we have been investigating in our argumentative writing unit. I was able to find a link to the article online, but also bought the magazine, so I will try to find it.

The article is not really about hedgehogs. They just picked the cutest exotic to feature on the cover.
hlsiefken likes this.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here is the article! http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...ts/slater-text

Here is the story behind the cover! http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...pets-hedgehog/
Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Did I miss something... did they discuss hedgehog's at all in that article??
zorropirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

In the actual article, I don't think hedgehogs are mentioned at all. The author focused more on "wild" animals that were kept as pets (such as tigers, wolves, zebras, monkeys, etc), not necessarily domesticated exotics. This is quoted in the article: "The term exotic pet has no firm definition; it can refer to any wildlife kept in human households—or simply to a pet that’s more unusual than the standard dog or cat." Backyard breeding, the underground exotic animal trade and private exotic ownership/conservation is explored.

It's really interesting actually, but kind of sad at the same time. Here's another quote that sums up the article: "In the end what we learn from exotic-pet ownership is that when you take the wild out of the wild, you eradicate its true nature and replace it with fantasy—the fantasy being ours, we humans, the animals at once the most and the least tamed of all."

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Wondering when someone would mention this!

I did think it was odd that hedgehogs were not even mentioned in the article…however, I certainly do not think that you can clump hedges in with dangerous exotic animals such as lions, bears, and chimpanzees. I agree that many of these animals should not be allowed to be bred for the animal trade. It was very interesting to see the map of how laws vary from one state to the next and there are not any regulations across the board.

I have owned 3 hedgehogs now, the most recent being a rescue and I have often thought about these issues and how it relates to my feelings about keeping and/or breeding exotic pets. In the end, I more or less feel that there are enough unwanted pets out there. I have mixed feelings about it, which begs the question, is this guy (the one with the hedgie on the cover) affiliated w/ the IHA or HWS? If not, perhaps he should be encouraged to join. How in the world did National Geographic find this particular guy?

-Susan H.
Lilysmommy likes this.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in