Misinformed Youtube "Hedgehog Care" Videos - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Misinformed Youtube "Hedgehog Care" Videos

I saw this girl on Youtube, who was misinformed about many things concerning the care of hedgehogs... and whenever someone tried to help her by educating her, she would completely disregard what they say and basically tell them that she will continue caring for her hedgies the way she has for the past how many months/years she has been caring for them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTo1GWaPdS4

Just upsets me because she seems to not want to be educated due to her own pride... or something of the sort...

>_<"

Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Misinformed Youtube "Hedgehog Care" Videos

That video could be worse but still makes me sick. I have a really hard time watching hedgehog videos on youtube, they are so awful. It kills me to think people fall for them and actually take their advice.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know
She's awful about it too, like so many people tried giving her better information but her attitude was basically "well they're fine so what I'm doing can't POSSIBLY be wrong" -____-"

I think there's only one person on youtube who has made a care video who actually knew what she was talking about, and her username is Lessthanthreesisters, or something like that... the few most watched are actually completely incorrect, another one of them being a boy who keeps his hedgehog in a guinea pig cage with multiple levels that don't have anything stopping the hedgehog from falling off the side. He was also feeding the hedgie Vitacraft and dried fruits...

Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Here are my notes...

* Wrong Temps - 65 to 80, 80 can be too hot, 65 too cold. 73 to 78 is optimal range.
* Sunseed Food - Utter garbage food that contains food items that are known to cause organ problems and even failure.
* Exercise Wheel of DEATH.
* Pine Shavings, Bedding of DEATH.
* Jingle Ball with openings.
* Cage Size, Couple of Feet by a Couple of Feet.
* No Lighting System.

What I hate the most about this video is the ignorance she displays with her comments, "Well my method has worked fine so why change anything". Then she'll be here on HHC crying because her hedgehog died of liver failure or a massive URI or had its feet torn off or broke its neck cause it decided to exit the wheel while it was still going.

What disturbs me more is the fact she has like a billion cages and tanks in her room, I mean I understand people love animals and that many people have setups like this, but god, I didn't even attempt to count how many things she had in there, but to me it seems to have that many pets, obviously all hers, would spread your time out too thinly to take proper care of them all. I mean this is coming from a guy with 9 indoor cats, but if you read my intro posts (I think Vera-Lee's intro) you'll know why I have so many cats, and well its not like cats are complicated to take care of. Feed me, pet me, change my litter.

The other thing that scares me in general with Youtube Hedgehog Videos are the comments, stepping past the obvious (haha how cute I want to get one and name it Sonic), just the general population who think they are cute, run out and get one not getting educated on the proper care and not knowing what their personality really are. Her hedgehog seems to be at least very comfortable and social, and many other videos show the same. They don't show how you can easily end up with a grumpy anti-social hedgehog that will require months of work (aka Hester Sue).

Personally, I think I'm going to work on my own hedgehog care video, the more correct videos that appear on Youtube, the less harm will be done to hedgies.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
I saw this girl on Youtube, who was misinformed about many things concerning the care of hedgehogs... and whenever someone tried to help her by educating her, she would completely disregard what they say and basically tell them that she will continue caring for her hedgies the way she has for the past how many months/years she has been caring for them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTo1GWaPdS4

Just upsets me because she seems to not want to be educated due to her own pride... or something of the sort...

>_<"
That is the breeder that just posted her babies for sale on here. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6166

She doesn't know enough as an owner but to be breeding them is just plain scarey. I pity her poor hedgehogs and I feel sorry for anyone that ends up buying from her because they are getting wrong information and the babies she sells will suffer.

The way she stumbles and bumbles her way talking in the video, it's obvious she is not sure of her facts. I'm sure most intelligent people are going to recognize it for what it is, someone trying to look like they know more than they do.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
That is the breeder that just posted her babies for sale on here. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6166

She doesn't know enough as an owner but to be breeding them is just plain scarey. I pity her poor hedgehogs and I feel sorry for anyone that ends up buying from her because they are getting wrong information and the babies she sells will suffer.

The way she stumbles and bumbles her way talking in the video, it's obvious she is not sure of her facts. I'm sure most intelligent people are going to recognize it for what it is, someone trying to look like they know more than they do.

That's HER?!?!
I don't mind when people are misinformed, I mean, I'm no expert with hedgehogs either... but at least most of them are willing to learn, you know?
No one should be adopting her baby hedgies, although every hedgie deserve a good home... I just hope the new owner stumbles upon this site, or another one of the sort
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Keltrey Send a message via Yahoo to Keltrey

I am really annoyed right now. I tried to post a comment on the video and I keep getting an error message. It really disturbs me to see how many people watched this video and thought it was good information. I really hope her hedgie doesn't get hurt.

As far as her breeding, it makes me sick. To think that she is breeding back to back and then instructing new owners that she is selling to truly disgusts me.

Thank you so much shaelikestaquitos bringing up lessthanthreesister's videos. I think she does a really good job.

Puffers, I look forward to your care videos. I would really like to see more of Hester Sue and Loki.
Keltrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think they're the same person. However, they're both very misinformed and need to educate themselves more
Old 06-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1024
I don't think they're the same person. However, they're both very misinformed and need to educate themselves more
You are right. It isn't the same person. When I first looked at the video it had her name and link to her website underneath the video and I thought that meant it was her video. No, it isn't the same person and I apologize for the goof but yeah, they both need to educate themselves.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

that is all beyond infuriating. really. willful ignorance should be friggin' penalized. well, sometimes it has been in the human world.

and that breeding thing is sick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in