New pet: Brazillian short tailed opossum, Hedgie or Axoltl? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New pet: Brazillian short tailed opossum, Hedgie or Axoltl?

Hey guys.

So I'm fairly new to the site and I have found it to be an amazing help in raising my hedgie correctly, safely, and mostly, happily, especially being in a part of the world where most hedgehog information is completely wrong!

Anyway, I am finally able to get a second pet...

My options are a second hedgehog, a Short Tailed Opossum or a tank of Axolotl.

I also wanted a sugar glider but they take way too much work. And I have found Degus available in my country.... Lastly, but worth mentioning, I am thinking of a Chemeleon too...

I wonder if anyone here has any experience with these animals that might help me decide on what to choose...

If not, maybe you guys could point me into the direction of animals you have had good experiences with, that I could look into getting...
moey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Since you already have a hedgehog: would you want another one?

Do you have experience with any of those other animals? What are you looking for in an animal? If you want something you can actually hold, the axolotl might not be the right pet for you. Same goes for the chameleon, although you can 'hold' it, but it's still different from eg. a hedgehog.
So, what do you want: a pet to look at, or a pet you can cuddle with? Or something in between?

And are you able to care for it? Some of those animals have special needs, like a special diet and you'd need to make sure you can give them the right food and other things they need. Some of them might need a lot of space, do you have enough room for them?

I have a short tailed opossum and I absolutely love her. She's great. I think they make great pets. They're nocturnal like hedgehogs so they sleep during the day, but unlike my hedgehog she comes out earlier (when I'm still awake and the lights are still on) and during the day as well sometimes to drink or eat a little.
She is really curious and when she sees me (I have her terrarium on my desk) runs up to the glass and puts her paws against it. She climbs onto my hand immediately when I put it in her cage. It's still not really a 'cuddly' pet like a cat or a dog but for someone who likes hedgehogs it might be a good one. They need a varied diet though since they're omnivorous but she eats a lot of the same stuff my hedgehog gets, and a lot of things I eat (like fruits and vegetables).

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Axolotl are really cool but not really playful pets. I had one that was genetically engineered to glow in black light. Looked super cool!! I know you mentioned what you want, but a recent visit to the shelter by me showed me how much traditional animals are uncared for. Ever think about adopting from a shelter?
raurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I really want an Opossum. Even though everyone seems to think they are not nice, I just fell in love with these playful little creatures!

I think Axolotl's are my last option as an aquarium is way too much work for me...

I have thought about going to a shelter, but I'm only allowed pets that can stay in a cage/tank/vivarium/terrarium in my room... Most traditional pets live outside or free roam ones house and sadly my family won't allow that... =( While I can get hamsters, rats and gerbils, I'm not really a huge fan.... But Opossums have stolen my heart I think, especially after what Draenog says! The only problem is they are super rare in SA, and the only breeder I've found doesn't have babies right now... So I have to wait for one....
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

STO's are rare here as well, I couldn't find them at first (found some people on the internet who had them but they didn't have babies/weren't planning on breeding) but I got really lucky at a fair and found a breeder who had some for sale.
I have no experience with other opossums since they're so rare here but mine was so sweet from day one, she was really curious and tame already. Climbed onto my hand without hesitating, she was a bit skittish and scared of loud noises in the beginning but that's getting less now. I bought her in December so I haven't had her for long but she's just the sweetest thing! I'd love to let her sleep in my pocket or in a sleeping bag, so far it happened once but usually she's way to busy running around and exploring.

This is my girl

Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

She's so small!!!!!!!
raurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Got her when she was 8 weeks old she's a bit bigger now. Second vid is her third day with me. She's a bit older in the first one. But they're not that big, more like a small rat.

Last edited by Draenog; 01-07-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow! She is adorable!!!! I REALLY WANT ONE NOW!!! She is just the cutest!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Axolotls and sugar gliders are actually easier to maintain than hedgehogs where i'm at. I'm actually amazed at how low maintenance my gliders are than i once thought. That's the reason why it took me 2 years, before i had one (now 5 females lol). Probably coz of the low cost of living plus the cheap prices or fruits and veggies that they love.

Axolotls thrive in cold water and doesn't really need a huge tank, just a long shallow one. A good filtration system and aeration and you're good to go. As for chameleons, they maybe way more expensive in terms of additional heating.

And believe me, having more than one hedgie is not easy haha

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I hear gliders need a lot of attention?How many hours do you dedicate to them daily? I also can't keep two because that is too many for me! I hear they bark at night and make a big mess in terms of urine and poo and eating... Also heard you can't train them to not continuously urinate on you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in