New pet: Brazillian short tailed opossum, Hedgie or Axoltl? - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

I looked up the dimensions but 10 gallon is way too small. A 20 gallon would be the absolute minimum size (and it's still small), bigger is better. They need a big wheel too since they need to run with their back straight and they have a tail as well so you'll need a 12/10 inch wheel.

Please think the breeding plans through really well before you get them since they can be really aggressive towards each other. If you just want a pet I think it would be better to get just one. In order to let them breed you'd need a way bigger cage where you can put them together for breeding.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do! Good thing is I already have en extra hedgehog bucket wheel! So just a cage and a few more supplies and I'm ready to go! Thanks so much! XD
moey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have one as well since I don't really have any breeding plans (at least not in the near future) and I thought I could give one more attention than two... it takes up more time as well, not only space But sounds great! And please do post pictures when you have him/her

Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the help! I definitely will!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

Looks like you decided! STO's are cute! A friend of mine was trying to rehome a couple of them but I can't take one because I have just enough pets for me now lol I think I'd be overwhemed if I got another one at this point in my life.

I was gonna suggest rats because they are fairly low maitence and awesome pets. I have three. they are super smart and super affectionate if you spent time with them your mind would change.

Dreanog why do feed the mice live?
ceopet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #26 (permalink)

Aww, rats are adorable! STO's look like miniature one's!

Draenog, I have found some cages... Telll me which you'd recommend? the Crittertrail Three (Over 20 gallons)? The DEluxe Habitat (About 20 gallons but its not talll... More wide) Or the one thats labelled HAC575? Or do any of the other tanks stick out for you?

Also, how do you make sure of no overheating without a thermostat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-wire-hamster-cages-1.jpg (117.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 07-wire-hamster-cages-2.jpg (125.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 08-hamster-gym-cage-with-counter-crittertrail-acc.jpg (130.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 09-crittertrail-acc.jpg (112.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 AM   #27 (permalink)

I am worried STO might get stuck in CritterTRail Three's tunnels and that CHE might melt the plastic?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #28 (permalink)

I also have 3 pet rats and they are super sweet. I open their door and they practically fall out of the door to come and greet me. Nothing better than sweet ratty kisses.
ceopet and hlsiefken like this.
brittbritt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

I love rats, I've had them myself. They are really cute and bond strongly with their owner. Reasons I didn't get them again at this point in my life were 1. they smell really strong 2. they usually die of cancer or other problems and don't get old and 3. you always have to keep two or more.
I'd love to have rats again though at some point, but only if I can place their cage in a different room than my bedroom. They're just so cute!

About the cages: I think the Crittertrail three is still too small (at least in my opinion) although I know some people use it. I think good dimensions for a cage are 60 w x 40 d x 80 h (in cm) or bigger (but keeping the hight). My current cage has less floorspace but I'm planning on getting a bigger one because I think this one is too small and I want more floorspace for the wheel. I think there wouldn't be much room for a wheel in a Crittertrail? About the tunnels, maybe you can remove them?
The HAC575 is bigger (but still smaller than the minimum size that's recommended here) so I think that's the best option out of those cages, still hard to fit a wheel in but it has enough climbing space.
I know some people use the Ferret nation for STO's but those are really expensive (at least here they are since they have to import them from the US).

Can't you get a terrarium? Lots of different sizes and you can easily make a more natural enclosure with wood and plants.

You'll always need a thermostat to make sure the cage stays in the right temperature range.

@ceopet I feed live mice because I breed them so I already have them. Of course I could kill them myself and feed them to her when they're dead but that wouldn't be any quicker. She's extremely fast. When I put a mouse in her cage she stalks it and the mouse is unaware of her all the time until she jumps onto it and bites its throat and then it's over. It happens really fast. If she was playing with it or when it took too long to kill I would do it myself, but she kills in one bite. I don't think any of my methods would be much quicker. I don't breed fancy mice but Eurasian harvest mice which are dwarf mice so they're really tiny, it might be more of a struggle with a bigger mouse. As long as it goes fast and quick I don't have problems with feeding live mice.
ceopet and hlsiefken like this.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

These are the biggest hamster cages we've got... Then we get the Chinchilla cages but the gaps are too big!

I'll go searching for terrariums tomorrow!

I have yet ti find termostats in SA...

I'm gonna meet the breeder sometime today, so hopefully I'll find out what he does...

Please keep an eye on this thread... I might need your help again...

Thanks so much!

You guys on HHC are always the best!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in