Tips for photographing Hedgies? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips for photographing Hedgies?

So, on these forums I see some really nice and cute pictures that people have taken of their hedgies. I am so jealous 'cause it so hard to get a decent picture of Enzo. He's a hyper little guy and they usually end up blurry! Is a specific type of camera better than my phone?
Jayea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't really like taking pictures with my phone since most of them end up blurry. I prefer my DSLR, which is a great camera since you can set your own shutter speed, aperture etc. I never use the auto settings, only manual.

But when it's dark I prefer to use a simple compact camera with the flash on, which works fine as well as long as you don't use it without flash or on any other setting than macro. For fast moving objects (aka hedgehogs) is my DSLR definitely the best, but they're quite expensive.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Any actual camera will improve the outcome.

An good entry level camera can be found for under $200, you want one that can take the next picture very quickly, which rules out the lowest price range.

The Cannon Powershot line has some good choices.
Nikon also has some good entry level cameras.

Some cameras just feel better in hand, this is highly personal, but if you decide to get a camera I'd go somewhere you can hold them.

If a real camera is not in your plans, you want tons of light. Take tons of shots. For every good picture there are often 10 blurry ones.

Last edited by Haley; 12-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is best to take photos when they are asleep or during feeding where they tend to stay still

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Phones can get good photos in some contexts, but they are not great for catching moving things since they have slow autofocus and poor tracking of moving things.

Find times where your hedgie is more docile if you can, and if you notice they are being more calm then remember to go for photos.

The more light the better. Flash can help in the right setting.

Even a cheap point and click digital camera will be easier to work with than a phone since it'll be able to autofocus faster and more accurately, and a fancier camera will give you better autofocus and more control.
fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bribing with treats helps as well
raurora likes this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in