Ceramic Heat Emitter question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ceramic Heat Emitter question

So I just got a CHE today for my hedgie, how long does it take to fully heat up. I got a 60 watt one, and it says that with the distance I have it should heat up to 30 celsius. However my probe is only reading 20.1 currently. I do have a heating pad set under neath half of his cage until this warms up to it's fullest, but how long will it take. I have been running it since 4pm (now 8pm) on full blast.
bobthehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ours is 100 watt, I think, it heats up really fast. 15 minutes at most, however it can take a few hours to heat up the cage. I have a digital laser thermometer so I know our bulb gets over 100 degrees in a matter of minutes.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea it finally heated up to where I wanted to! All good now

__________________________________________________ _

bobthehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What kind of cage do you have? The bulb should be very hot if it's working right - if it's not, then it's probably defective. If it's pretty warm & seems like the bulb itself is working, then it's probably not strong enough for your cage size, especially if it's an open cage like a C&C.

CHEs are one of the best ways to heat a cage, but you can't use just a CHE bulb - you need a thermostat to control the bulb and turn it on/off to keep the temperature steady. Having the cage at 30*C is going to be too warm. You want it to be somewhere between 23-27*C, and it should stay pretty steady.

Personally, I'd return the bulb you have now as it sounds like it's either defective or too weak of a wattage to heat the cage. I would get a 100 watt bulb (possibly 150) and a thermostat to control it. In the meantime, you need to try and get the room warmer - a space heater can do that if you have one, or raise your house temp by 2-3 degrees. A heating pad is okay for supplemental heat, but it's not going to keep him warm enough with the air temperature at 20*. Also, keep in mind that if you have a larger cage (a 2x3 C&C for example), you'll probably need two 100/150-watt lamps in order to keep the temperature warm & steady in the whole cage.

Edit: Glad that it did finally heat up. I would still highly recommend getting a thermostat though - having the bulb on just by itself won't let it adjust to any changes in the room temperature, so it may end up varying too much.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in