Concerned./: - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By abbys
  • 1 Post By Brittany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Concerned./:

My boyfriend and I just got two new hedgehogs; a boy and girl. We didn't plan on mating them but do let them run around and play with each play and they seem to like each other very well. Well one of them started making a weird squeaky noise that turned out to be A mating call and so we separated them.
We kept them apart for a few days and then let them be back around each other and they played like they usually would and we thought nothing of it until we went to go check on them and they were mating! We waited for him to finish his business and then we separated them and I noticed he was bleeding down there...
Is that normal? Can someone tell me what's wrong with my baby girl?/:
payiona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You said he was bleeding, but then baby girl. Which one was bleeding? If it was him, he might have poked himself on her quills while mating. If it was her, he might have been too rough or something. Keep a close eye on whichever one was bleeding though, to make sure it stops and doesn't continue or get worse.

You're going to need to put her on pregnancy watch for the next 50 days. Make sure her cage is somewhere where she can be left alone completely if she gives birth. Her bedding should be some kind of particle bedding, like Carefresh or shavings, since you won't be able to clean the cage if she gives birth. Start reading up on the threads in the Breeding & Babies forum, and make sure you have an experienced vet that you can get to in an emergency in case she has complications with birth. Are the two hedgehogs related?

You'll need to keep them completely separated after this. As you found the hard way, hedgehogs WILL mate if you let them play together and they can do it very quickly. Make sure the cages are both escape-proof as well.

Edit: What kind of food are you giving them? And how old is the female? If she's under 6 months, she's young to be pregnant, which is another good reason to have a good vet lined up, just in case. You'll want to make sure she's getting a good diet since she'll be trying to support herself + babies, if she is pregnant.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 10-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I meant she. /:
The bleeding stopped as soon as I put her in warm water to clean her off.
They aren't related in any way. Both of them were purchased on two different areas.
In her cage now I have pine shavings as her main bedding and care fresh under her hide for the extra warmth.
payiona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Letting a male and female play together is not a smart thing to do. Female hedghogs are induced ovulators so every time she is near the male it causes her to ovulate. This repeated ovulation can cause many health problems for your female. The males also become very stressed when exposed to a female and dont get a chance to mate. Please for the health and happiness of your hedgehogs do not let them play together ever again.
Nancy, Lilysmommy, Gruff and 2 others like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Plus, aren't pine shavings a no-no?! I'd read where aspen is suggested instead due to hedgehog allergies.

Also to the owner of the new hedgies, you may want to brush up on human biology because it sounds like this is what happens to a young girl . . . just sayin'.
SiouxzieKinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hedgehogs don't menstruate.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Kiln dried pine shavings are just as good to used as aspen. Just make sure they are kiln dried.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for clearing that up Abby! I always look to your posts for information these past few weeks. Glad you are on here.
SiouxzieKinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm only on my first hedgehog so I'm still learning every day (thanks to this forum!). I'm definitely not an expert and still get stuff wrong - Nikki, Nancy, Kalandra, the the other breeders here are the masters. I answer posts to the best of my knowledge, but like I said, I'm still learning lots, so if any of them say something that contradicts what I say, go with their answer.
SiouxzieKinz likes this.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Before you get any animal you should really look into it more. Placing the two of them together, especially after you heard a mating call, was not smart if you were not hoping to mate them. I would think this would be common sense with any animal. Especially if she turns out to be pregnant, you really need to do your research now, as that comes with a whole extra set of responsibilities. Good luck!
raurora likes this.

Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in