Calling all equestrians :D - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Calling all equestrians :D

Alrighty, so lets see who on here is an equestrian!

Alright so I'm Kylie, I am full leasing a chestnut quarter horse mare, she is 15.1hh, no socks/stars/anything! I am a hunter/jumper and do about 6 shows on my mare a year and this is my first year of IEA (Interscholastic Equestrian Association...if you dont know what im talking about, dont ask, to much to explain!). I have done 3 iea shows this season, qualified on the flat, and have a show in a few weeks to qualify o/f On my mare i do jumpers and show at the Colorado horse park, though i train at a diffrent facility with grand prix rider, Nicki Wilcox. I board my mare and take weekly lessons. On my old pony (best. pony. EVERRRRRRR) we did the pony jumpers and regularly jumped courses up to 3'3" though i have jumped her up to 4' (she was 13.2hh). My mare just started seriously jumping this june, and is up to 2'9" to 3' courses, though i have only shown her in puddle jumpers.
I ride 6 days a week, monday-saturday...

Ya thats about it! So...any other equestrians on here?
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Calling all equestrians :D

Hi Kylie,
Good luck in IEA, and HAVE FUN. It's a team simply because as young equestrians we don't always cultivate the same bonds as team sports. I loved IEA but continued to keep my personal competitive drive and that's the one thing I regret, I didn't always let the shows be fun. It's such a high pressure world and the stress of it all can really hit hard during your teen years.
I've been riding for 16 years (I'm 20 now) and love my horse and my barn family. Your mare sounds cute! I rescued a 5 y/o off track thoroughbred gelding when I was ten. He came to my barn on the brink of death and my instructor/mentor and I have rehabbed him into a gem. I no longer show but Zeus and I enjoy jumping over anything put in front of us and Zeus teaches young girls how to move from riders to true equestrians.
Have a blast in IEA and always wear a helmet!
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

does it count if one has had no formal training? I grew up on horses but have never owned one of my own, nor competed. I do hope to own a horse/take lessons within the next few years.

I do nanny for a girl who is starting 3' with her fanshy smanshy $60,000 imported Hanoverian; I annoy her on a regular basis with my ignorance of English riding She also hates when I walk through the barn singing. It's good fun to embarrass her.

Enjoy IEA

SouthernSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is nothing like taking care of kids whose horses cost more than the car you drive and the apartment you live in combined! I've been a stable hand and groom to some very interesting people, and nanny for some lovely three pony owning, iPad using FIVE YEAR OLDS
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kam

My husband came home the other day and told me " I want to buy a horse for hunter jumping, what do you know about quarter horses"? He was asking me because I have been around horses since before I could walk, he's never been riding. Still I've never had a horse of my own and It's been awhile since I've been in a stable.
So gave a short note on what I know of the breed, confessed I knew nothing of what hunter jumping is, and asked what would he do with a horse.
I guess he has an old boss who owns a stable and teaches hunter jumping and he was told " buy a good horse and we will lease it, board and teach it.
So my husband wants me to help pick out a horse.

Would love some advice, I just ride bare back.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

I never did get super into it (never competitive and never owned a horse) but I did start lessons when I was in 5th grade. Then we moved and didn't find a new place we liked, so I didn't ride at all for about 4 years, then we moved back really close to where we lived originally and I went back to the same lady. She was the sweetest, and going to lessons was a really relaxing part of my week. Lessons were always pretty laid back, four people at the most, and I loved all of her horses. The first college I went to actually had a horseback riding class you could take but I transferred to a different one after a term and don't have access to anything here, so it's been probably two years since I've last ridden.

cardiologineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes me but here it's mainly English riding, not many Quarter horses and such over here (of course they are here, but Western riding is not as big as in the US). And of course we have our own breeds like the Dutch Warmblood and the Friesian horse, so it's mainly dressage (and jumping). I believe those breeds are popular in the US as well since there seems to be quite some export. I don't own a horse but I ride once a week.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMoose
Hi Kylie,
Good luck in IEA, and HAVE FUN. It's a team simply because as young equestrians we don't always cultivate the same bonds as team sports. I loved IEA but continued to keep my personal competitive drive and that's the one thing I regret, I didn't always let the shows be fun. It's such a high pressure world and the stress of it all can really hit hard during your teen years.
I've been riding for 16 years (I'm 20 now) and love my horse and my barn family. Your mare sounds cute! I rescued a 5 y/o off track thoroughbred gelding when I was ten. He came to my barn on the brink of death and my instructor/mentor and I have rehabbed him into a gem. I no longer show but Zeus and I enjoy jumping over anything put in front of us and Zeus teaches young girls how to move from riders to true equestrians.
Have a blast in IEA and always wear a helmet!
That is so cool, I love those kind of horses my old pony, Angel, taught me so much, really moved me from a rider to an equestrian in the short 2 years I owned her... Thanks, I love IEA so far!!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam
My husband came home the other day and told me " I want to buy a horse for hunter jumping, what do you know about quarter horses"? He was asking me because I have been around horses since before I could walk, he's never been riding. Still I've never had a horse of my own and It's been awhile since I've been in a stable.
So gave a short note on what I know of the breed, confessed I knew nothing of what hunter jumping is, and asked what would he do with a horse.
I guess he has an old boss who owns a stable and teaches hunter jumping and he was told " buy a good horse and we will lease it, board and teach it.
So my husband wants me to help pick out a horse.

Would love some advice, I just ride bare back.
Well I don't ride bareback a lot but pretty much the hunter side of hunter/jumper is judged on the horse, while equitation is judged on the rider. Hunters are also a type of horse, normally catagorized by a long, big shoulder, usually are thicker than most warmbloods, and are typically over 16hh (unless your in pony classes, which your husband in guessing is not going to be). Hunters should have a beautiful stride, and a super clean, tight jump. They need to have even knees o/f and a good sized stride. I hope your husband has a good hunter/jumper based trainer if you are planning on getting a new hunter to train!

Now I used to be quite an anti quarter horse person for hunter/jumper type stuff, but now I've realized there are so many things a QH can do! My QH mare is more fit for jumpers not just because she doesn't like hunters but because she doesn't make a super pretty picture, she is very short and dainty, and her shoulder is at a steep-ish angle.

Good luck and you can message me with any questions!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweet
does it count if one has had no formal training? I grew up on horses but have never owned one of my own, nor competed. I do hope to own a horse/take lessons within the next few years.

I do nanny for a girl who is starting 3' with her fanshy smanshy $60,000 imported Hanoverian; I annoy her on a regular basis with my ignorance of English riding She also hates when I walk through the barn singing. It's good fun to embarrass her.

Enjoy IEA
Well it's better late than never
Uuuhhhhhghhhhh I am so jealous of those little kids...if they have the "horse gene" they usually end up such hug good riders. Un fortunately, I was not born into a horsey family, and begged to ride from 3 years old to like 7 years old, though I didn't take formal lessons till I was 8 1/2 ..

Ohhh my no offense, you sound like my dad, who knows nothing about English riding and makes fun of me ALLL the time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in