Ignorance is killing hedgehogs... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ignorance is killing hedgehogs...

Right now I have 8 friends on Facebook who have hedgehogs (that I'm aware of). I always check on their pictures to see if I can see anything wrong with their cage, so I can let them know. None of them have heat or light setup, some use gloves, feed hedgehog food. When I notice I just send them a message letting them know their hedgehog needs to have a heat/light source and not to use gloves and a link to here. Never mean or rude. Of course, no of them have listened to me. Today I reached my ends when this was posted.

"Spike died "

So I messaged and asked what happened. I never comment, I don't want to "attack" them "in front" of everyone. The girl said she found him in his cage cold in a ball, so she put him in a box and buried him in the ground. Exactly what I told her what would happen. She didn't even try to warm him up or see if he was breathing, that's what really gets me. She said it was of old age, he was 14 months old...

Another "friend" posted a picture of their "girl" hedgehog. I could clearly see the penis and I told them that it was a boy. The answer I got, "The pet store said it was a girl, her and her sister are happy living together. The store knows more than you do." Great... They are going to be having inbred babies, constantly.

Then there are two people who are breeding hedgehogs. They've posted things like "Loki is looking for a girlfriend!! <33333". I told them you do not breed hedgehogs without lineage and a WHS guarantee, did they care? Nope. I told them you can't breed a female for the first time after a year, they went ahead and did it anyways. No surprise that she died. They also breed their females 3-4 times a year.

I cannot stand breeders who don't care about the well being of their hedgehogs.

Another guy posted that his hedgehog kept losing "spikes". I messaged him and asked how old he was and if new quills were coming through. He said he is 17 months and no new quills were coming in. I said his hedgehog probably has mites and he should take him to the vet and get revolution. He said hedgehogs don't go to vets, they don't need them and it would be a waste of money. He threw the hedgehog out!!! In the garbage before the garbage truck came, and said he was dying anyways.

I made a Facebook post "ranting" about all the care that is involved in owning a hedgehog. I got A LOT of comments like "Man a hedgehog requires a lot of work...and I thought they were just there to look cute!" and "I didn't know they needed that much..... I don't think I want one now." Of course, no one who owns a hedgehog mentioned anything. At least it got through to some people.

It would be nice if people would do research on their pets and actually follow through with that research. I have come into contact with so many people who say they knew that they need heat, WHS guarantees, quality food, etc but didn't bother doing it or didn't have the money. It drives me crazy. I wish these people would stop being so ignorant and stop breeding unhealthy babies and killing hedgehogs.
HedgieGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ignorance is killing hedgehogs...

Someone threw a hedgehog out!? That's some sort of animal cruelty no matter how you look at it. Thank goodness that I don't have friends that have them. I know some people have told me that I'm "spoiling" Pompey because I have a heat lamp for him! I don't think I could stand it if I heard terrible things like that.
MLHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

When I read they threw him out my jaw dropped and didn't close for a good 10 minutes. I just sat there staring at the screen. I asked if the garbage had went already and they said yes I would have gone and got him out otherwise. Poor guy.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

So... I live near you.... Let me know where so I can punch them... please? Did you screenshot the page? I would try to see if animal cruelty charges can be placed. When did it actually happen? I would not let that poor hedgehog suffer for nothing.

I'm thankful that most of my fb friends are either HS classmates, or classmates from vet tech school. And everyone knows how to care for an animal properly. None of my friends think that I spoil my animals. There are comments on it, but they spoil their pets just as much as I do, and it's all in jest. But this..... arg
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I didn't screen shot it but I could. I still have the messages saved. I didn't think of animal cruelty charges (don't know why...) I'm going to see about that for sure. It was about a week ago. Not long at all.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would do it. I don't tolerate that sort of thing, and I generally find that those sorts of people quickly drop out of my "friends" category. Not to insult the folks on your Facebook of course! It's just that I wouldn't have a problem reporting them. I don't know that one conversation would do it, but that's pretty serious, and animal cruelty is a big deal in most states.

To be fair to the few folks that said something to me about heating the hedgehog: most of them have never really dealt with a pet that has special needs. That mentality is expected for folks that own dogs or cats that normally just need a few basics. If I had explained myself (or felt like I needed to) they might have understood. Most of my friends are avid pet lovers at heart!
MLHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most of the people I have on Facebook aren't really my friends. Most of them are just people that I went to high school with or have university classes with. It's more of an acquaintance list than actual friends. The people who actually where my friends, no longer are. Not because of the hedgehogs, mind you. But I couldn't be friends with someone who refused to take proper care of their hedgehog, or any other animal. I only keep them on my facebook so I can watch the hedgehogs, and hope they will do research or listen.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

These kind of postings make me so sad. You know those people posting aren't the only one with issues- there are more that are keeping it private and dealing with a hedgehog on their own terms. People think hedgies are cute- and they are. However, they come with a huge responsibility.

You are doing the right thing by trying to help them. Some people refuse to be helped, though. Ugh, people make me so mad!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is just shocking those poor animals.
When I read things like this I'm glad almost no one here has a hedgehog (I know nobody in person except my hedgehogs breeder) this is just horrible... and it happens with other animals too of course but hedgehogs need more care than the usual pet (like rabbits). Why would someone do something like throwing his hedgehog in the garbage

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am in total shock after reading your post. How disgusting. Those poor babies. I live in a state where hedgies are illegal. I would give my hedgie everything he/she could possibly need and want. Yet I can't have the pleasure of being owned by one. But those who toss them in the trash have such permission.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in