Bearded Dragon Hatchling and Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bearded Dragon Hatchling and Hedgehog

I've had my rescued hedgehog since she was 3 weeks old, it was tough in the beginning because she wasn't properly socialized since her mother died soon after her birth. She's now 7 months, full of energy and is curious with even people that she's never met! Now I've been thinking about getting a bearded dragon hatchling and I'm wondering if it would be possible to socialize them so as to avoid any conflict. Of course the bearded dragon being smaller then my amy as a hatchling, I'm worried that Amy might confuse something as small as it as something it could possibly nibble on. I'm also worried that as the bearded dragon grows to its full 2 feet that it might view my hedgehog in the same manner. If anyone has had any experience with this, I'd love some tips or feedback.
dannysxu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bearded Dragon Hatchling and Hedgehog

Personally, I would just avoid having them out together. There's a possibility of one of them hurting the other, even if they get used to each other, especially of the dragon getting hurt from the hedgie's quills. There wouldn't be much benefit to them from being around each other, just that you could combine their cuddle times. That could be tricky as well though, with a younger and energetic beardie that doesn't want to stay put. You might be able to introduce them carefully, once the beardie gets a bit bigger, but I wouldn't want to go through the risks myself.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't try having them come in contact with one another. Your hedgie will probably just ignore the beardie, but either way both of them could get hurt. My bearded dragon would try to bite/eat any small animal he can get to, not excluding hedgies. Obviously your hatchling will take a while to get to a size where a bite would actually hurt anything, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rescue

no reason to put them together. not like they would play or enjoy each others company
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

With what Jerseymike was saying, you gotta ask yourself...what is the purpose of putting them together? what benefit will I get out of putting them together? would they appreciate being together?.....it's of no benefit to put them together and I'm sure neither of them would appreciate being around the other, my prediction is they would probably avoid each other...so best to just keep them separate.
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in