Zoonosis- has your hedgie made you sick? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zoonosis- has your hedgie made you sick?

I only found one thread when searching this so I'm asking for new info. Has anyone gotten sick from their hedgie? I've had Sandwich over a year and wash my hands frequently , as well as using gloves to clean her cage, but no one is perfect. I went to the doctor after weeks of throat pain that I shouldn't have put off and found out I have a lymph node infection. When I asked what caused it the doctor said it could be anything "bad" or infectious that got in my blood stream or lymphatic system. They said take these antibiotics for 2 weeks and see, but I want to know if I should still be handling her? If anyone has experience with this? It seems like if I mention I have a hedgehog to a doctor they don't even know what they are, let alone what effect they have on human health. Since I'm her only caregiver I want to make sure I'm doing things right for both of us. Thanks for any info in advance
Sandwich's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's pretty unlikely it was caused by your hedgehog, especially if it's your lymph nodes that are infected. Here's a big, scary list of everything you can possibly get from a pet hedgehog: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/1/04-0752_article

That's an absolutely worst case scenario though, and you'd have to have a compromised immune system to catch a lot of those. There are very, very few cases of zoonoses between pet hedgehogs and humans yearly.

That said, there's always a chance. If you've been washing your hands and using gloves when cleaning up poop though, it's a pretty tiny chance. Is it a viral infection?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

They didn't tell me whether it was bacterial or viral, likely because no blood was drawn. The physical symptom were pretty obvious. I just realized 2 things that may not be great in hedgie handling, I guess I just got so used to having her around. 1.I haven't been giving foot baths when I taken her out, she is usually on a towel but has been on the floor, . Because we use care fresh she doesn't ever have "poop boots" like when I tried liners (she hated the liners) the most she has is maybe some poo and paper liner stuck to back feet if it's bad I use a baby wipe to pull off. I try not to bathe her too often , even foot bathes, because the teen girl I got her from was bathing her DAILY! And scrubbing her quills with a brush each time, so when I got her at 5 months she was terrified of water and continues to be.
2.Sandwich lives in out upstairs extra bathroom, because I can control the temperature, light and noise. It also makes bathing and cage cleaning convienent. I do dump her dirty water and using a glove I spot clean poop and put all in in the toliet and flush. I have however used that toliet a few times when I had to pee so bad I couldn't wait. It's certainly not dirty and the hedge poops don't touch the seat.
I don't know if any of this is relevant or just poor hedgie hygiene, unfortunately my mind races despite knowing what I know about them.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is your lymph node swollen? Does it hurt?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

See, I always want to comment on these threads and say none of that sounds harmful at all to me. But then I remember that I gave up washing my hands after handling the hogs and their stuff a long time ago, even when I pick up dried poop. So I guess I might not be a good judge. :Lol:
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

To reply to above, yes they are both horribly swollen, I no longer have tonsils so I knew something was wrong. I put of going to the Dr because I didn't have a fever and thought maybe it was muscle neck pain, until they just got bigger and bigger.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lilysmommy. That makes me feel better though! I would rather just sigh and realize I'm a hypochondriac about everything.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

When you touch them, do they hurt?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Artemis-Ichiro, not really mostly just uncomfortable
Old 05-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Even when I had multiple hedgehogs I never used gloves when picking up poops or cleaning the cages and wheels. I think as long as you practice proper hygiene (hand washing) you are very very unlikely to contract any type of illness from your hedgehog.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in