Friends and Family now want a hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Friends and Family now want a hedgie

I've been posting pictures of my little one, potentially named Milla-Rue, on my Facebook and the response from people isn't what I expected. Most people now all of a sudden want one and I'm kinda worried about it. I've been getting Inbox messages from some friends and family members that... well.. aren't the most responsible people.

I've tried explaining the "cons" of owning a hedgie, particularly to my sister-in-law, who's 15 and has mostly just owned cats her whole life. She had a snake but.. they lost it.. they had rats but they killed each other. I love her a lot but I'm so worried. She was trying to convince me she was prepared because they have a hamster cage that wasnt even big enough for a hedgehog at all. I know I would take in her hedgie if she decides she doesnt want him/her anymore but I cant take in everyones if my friends want one too. They want one based on the wrong things, based on how cute they are and not really understanding that it's not all cuteness and snuggles with most hedgies.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm just sort of ranting right now I've stopped posting pictures on Facebook because I just dont want to convince anyone else to take in a hedgie that they arent prepared to take care of, I think I will just post them here for people to enjoy.

GoldenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: Friends and Family now want a hedgie

I've had this Problem and I've flat out told them that they weren't good pets for them. Blunt, yes, however if it saves a life it's worth it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would definitely encourage them to come here and do some reading. Make sure they see the behavior expectations post, especially. Explain that hedgehogs poop a lot, they need to be handled every night, they can be very grumpy and take a long time to warm up to a new owner, that their heating needs are quite expensive, and that they need large cages with plenty of room. Invite them over to see your new baby and let her poop or pee on them a few times. Explain that that's a normal thing that will happen sometimes, even if you do things to avoid it. Maybe in your replies on the pictures, say something like "Yeah, it's a good thing she's adorable! She's a little poop machine, you should see her wheel!!" or "She's cute, but she's kind of grumpy right now with quilling. She doesn't want to be pet at all because her skin hurts. ". Just casual comments that give little hints to the less-fun parts of hedgie ownership. I found that once my friends/family found out how much work Lily takes sometimes, they were a little "Huh...so why do you have her?"

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think I'm going to start doing that lol! I've tried telling them nicely that hedgehogs may be cute and a little odd of a pet to have, BUT they are a lot of work and they DONT come out during the day lol. I pretty much start with "Do you have 400 dollars to spare right this second?" "No" "Well... you might want to do some research, tally up the cost, and then consider it again" lol

Old 12-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, the price usually sets people off. I usually can up my price for her (I paid $250, but I often say upwards of $400), then they'll generally stop there.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I only paid 150 for Milla-Rue, but including her supplies and everything about came up to 400, part of that being the shipping. Plus where my sister-in-law lives their aren't any vets, and the closest one doesn't specialize in hedgies (I checked just in case my Milla got sick while we were down there)

Old 12-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Her cage was $110, but that's because Jason didn't want her in a C&C God forbid one of the family dogs came into his room.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Instead of adorable pictures...post pictures of a poopy cage after a night of fun. Haha, Brillo always manages to make his cage look like a tornado of poo went through it. I would think a lot of irresponsible people would be turned off by the idea of a lil poo monster as a pet.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

they need to have like $1400 just to start out with. the $400 you mentioned for hedgie and supplies and another $1000 for vet bills which can be used up real quick especially if they adopt a sick hedgie not knowing or if he/she gets sick right after they get them. hedgies aren't cheap at all especially when they are sick which can happen quite often for some hedgies who just seem prone to getting sick no matter what you do to prevent it. so i'd mention the vet costs too not just the price of hedgie and supplies, but great idea.

this is a huge problem for a lot of hedgies because they get taken into an unprepared house just because they are cute and a short time later end up on craigslist or somewhere because they are grouchy because people don't wanna spend the time needed with them or because the "kids are bored with him" or because they got a sick hedgie and weren't prepared for immediate vet bills. unfortunately people do this way too often with all animals not just hedgies. they like them for a minute then don't wanna deal with it once that cute and cuddly hedgie/rabbit/kitten/puppy/etc newness wears off and they aren't so cute and cuddly, but instead are the exact opposite of what their expectations were and are a lot of work.
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

One of my friends is now getting a hedgehog, after I have been saying I have wanted on since September! She has the money for one now, while I am still in the process of saving up. Just bought my cage for one province, not sure if I am going to buy, or make a cage for home.

But I am still researching things, and she is also researching, and both her and her mother have successfully owned many pets in the past so she knows the work involved.
Emiry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in