Sneks - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FinnickHog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sneks

Hey all,
I keep thinking about getting a corn snake. I know some users here are big reptile keepers themselves, and was wondering if you had a preferred source for corn snake information? A cornsnakecentral, if you will

Are there any major considerations I should have?
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, some of the major considerations that you should take into hand before buying a corn snake is that they can live for 15+ years, they needs a 40 gallon breeder or larger when they are full grown, and they eat mice.
I looove snakes and have a reverse okeetee corn snake named Crush
I am actually working on a topic about corns on my animal-informative site http://dndrabbitry.wix.com/animal-cr...n-snakes/js1km I will let you know when it is done!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!! :P
Petlover500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Honestly, so far I prefer Tumblr for reptile information. A LOT of sites & forums are either outdated or promote the "industry standard" style of husbandry, which is...lacking, IMO. Bare minimum is considered okay - two hides, one water bowl, no other cage furniture. That may differ for corn snakes, but it's truly ridiculous for ball pythons.

I think this was the caresheet I saw recommended by one of the snake owners I follow - http://f--emasculata.tumblr.com/caresheet I had to go searching for it again, I forgot to bookmark it before. I generally have good luck asking questions on Tumblr, but I can also give you the links of a couple of specific blogs that are nice & good about answering questions if you'd prefer to do that rather than post publicly (as I have gotten one kind of nasty person from that).

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

This page is a great resource if you want to do more than the bare minimum with your corn's habitat http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...e-care-sheets/ Lots of people post vivariums and things.

This care sheet is up to date and coincides with how I would keep a corn of my own http://www.anapsid.org/corn.html. I would go for a larger enclosure for an adult though just so I could add more hides and branches to it.

Reptileforums.co.uk is pretty good for up to date info. Their search feature kind of sucks though so pinpointing info when you want it can be difficult at times. They're pretty good dudes so go ahead and start a thread of your own if you're interested. They helped calm me down and locate an escaped gecko once.

I feel like butts today, but if you want me to give you a full rundown when I'm feeling better let me know here and I can give you a bunch more facts and places to check for info. I adore corns. I adore everything scaly though

In the meantime google image search Palmetto corn snake. It'll get you even more excited about them. They found the first one in the wild!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't know anything about corn snakes, but I have been keeping creepy crawlies for awhile. What I can tell you is find a breeder, don't buy from a pet store unless they know what they're doing. Vet your breeder as well just because they know who to put 2 snakes together, doesn't mean they know what they're doing or they just don't breed good lines ( goes back to not knowing what their doing).

I don't know if corn snakes eat rats, if they do I suggest you switch. It's much cheaper and you don't have to feed as much as often.

Do your research on the proper setup, what works for one species doesn't work for all.
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! Giving me lots to read at work

Though now that I've taken a look, I'm not sure I can commit to 10-15 years with a snake right now I may have to wait until I've finished school and settled down somewhere.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopushedge View Post
Thanks everyone! Giving me lots to read at work

Though now that I've taken a look, I'm not sure I can commit to 10-15 years with a snake right now I may have to wait until I've finished school and settled down somewhere.
Aw thats too bad
But it is best to wait until you can give the animal the full commitment that they need
Petlover500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

If corns snakes are anything like Pythons or boas, they really
That's too bad, but better realize this now then latter!

aren't to hard to keep. Make the proper environment, feed water.
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in