New Family Members! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Family Members!

Hey guys! I briefly mentioned two of my new pets in a different thread, but I thought I would make one just for them. There have been a string of reptile shows in Alberta over the past few months, and my boyfriend decided he wanted to expand our breeding stock to include Crested Geckos. We ended up with three so far, one male and two females.

The male's name is Grunt. He's a brown and cream partial pinstripe with fur, kneecaps, blushing, and fringe.

The female I picked is Mordin. She's a red and cream full pinstripe dalmatian with kneecaps, blushing, and fringe. Some of her spots are red, and that's one of the traits I'm hoping to focus on.

The second female is Nanamo. She's a cream on cream full pinstripe dalmatian with fur and fringe. She's easily the more photogenic of the three, but I absolutely adore them all!

All three are still under a year old, and I'm one of those weird breeders who doesn't breed the absolute second an animal is able, so it will be at least another year before they're ready to go in the cage together. In the meantime, they'll be absolutely pampered and adored like the rest of my crew.

Along with these three, we had a surprise salamander join the family a few weeks ago. My boyfriend works in a metal pipe coating plant, and he was working away when he saw a face peek out from underneath a pile of rust. Not only was the poor little guy inside the building in the filth, that section of the plant is about to be renovated, so if the rust didn't get him the construction likely would have. The local Tiger Salamander species is legal to keep but not sell, so he came home in my boyfriend's lunch container, and we tidied him up and fed him and now he's looking much better. I don't have a good picture of him yet since he was such a mess when he came home, but I'll take one soon!

And last but certainly not least, I picked up my dream snake at the show on Saturday! He's a Sorong Green Tree Python. I haven't named him yet because I've been too giddy to think straight. I've purchased several animals from this vendor in the past and I trust him immensely, so when he opened a tub, reached in, scooped the snake out, and handed him to me with a "you can hold him" I almost died. Green tree pythons are notorious for being snappy and just outright "mean". And they have a really nasty bite. If it weren't for the insanely green color on these guys, you'd think they were ball pythons or corn snakes. I've been waiting for a calm yet gorgeous one of these since I was ten years old or so.

Here he is:

He's about two years old, so this is his adult coloration. (Green tree pythons hatch out either red or yellow, and typically turn green gradually as they age. A lucky few stay yellow, and some turn a blue-ish color.) The blue and white flecking is permanent. I custom designed him a cage, and I gave him lots of places to hide, but he just plopped down on a branch, coiled up in the famous tree snake position, and went to sleep. He had a nice long drink today straight from my bottle and he's doing super well so far! I'll probably have to post on him again in the future because I just can't contain my excitement .

I hope you guys like the pictures!
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

All of your new babies are absolutely gorgeous!!! I love that python, he's so beautiful. I'm so happy for you! I'd love to see pictures of his enclosure if you have some!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Alright now promise not to laugh.... xD. I had two other fake plants in here but he just doesn't seem to care so I took them out, and he's got paper towel on the floor for now so I can take a look at his poops easily. It'll be coco husk in the near future to help with humidity.

He's about 2.5 feet long. With GTPs the trick is to place the water bowl within their reach but on the bottom of the cage, or they might not drink. So the top perch is about 2 feet above the bowl. I have a full spectrum bulb on a stand that I shine through the mesh right to where he's sitting to create his basking spot.

The perches are wooden dowels. I melted the plastic with a butane torch and pushed them through, so they're stable enough not to roll when he's on them but they can be slid out for cleaning.

The "door" is what used to be the lid of the bin. The frame of the lid is in tact, and then the rest is cut away and replaced with screen door mesh. This is what Finnick's lids look like too, only with super glue instead of tape, because I had more time to design those. I punctured holes in all four corners and tied it shut with some ribbon because this lid doesn't have locks.

Younger GTPs like smaller enclosures. The bigger the enclosure the more jumpy they get and they're also less likely to eat. So the box is about 2.5'x1.5'x1' total. Once he's all settled in and he gets a bit bigger I'll upgrade him to a 3'xsomethingx2' terrarium, and I might throw some live plants in there and whatnot.

This cage cost about $40, compared to a store-bought glass one with similar "reptile brand" perches and bowl for around $200. So that's an added bonus after what the snake cost me .

I would definitely still suggest a glass aquarium or terrarium for something more terrestrial like say, for example, a ball python . Just because you can get better tank sizes that way, and the lids are super secure. But this is what my basic homemade quarantine cage looks like, and I think this one turned out well enough to last him a year or so.

Also! I'm totally open to name suggestions. I can't settle on anything I like. He is definitely a boy. Help!
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very cool. One thing. I hadn't had snakes in years, we had the if you can catch it you can keep it rule growing up. So we had rat snakes, garter snakes, black snakes some mystery snakes. They always "ran away" within a couple days. But to my question.
Do they do better with a dowel or with the wood branches? I don't know if there is an issue with dowels with snakes like there are for birds.
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

It doesn't seem to make a difference with these guys. The dowels are easier to sterilize if someone manages to poop on them, but I do worry about branch width variety being good for him mentally. You'd think variety would help with muscle tone too but there haven't really been many studies done. I'll be giving him a few of each when he gets upgraded to a bigger cage. He's a farm raised guy from New Guinea so he has experienced natural branches. I figure it's only fair to mimic what he had as a baby as closely as possible.

Once they were imported the importer kept them on dowels in tubs so for now I'm sticking as closely to his last stable environment as possible. Once I'm sure he eats and poops I'll fiddle around a bit. I'd really like to get him a live plant too.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just wanted to share some videos I took recently of my crew. None of Akihiko the green tree python, sadly, as he's in exile until he eats. But I got some videos of fishies and froggies!

Sadly, my very first saltwater fish, a Banded Hi Fin Goby, seems to have had a parasite. He passed away only 8 days after my purchasing him. But here he is anyway, being adorable with his pal, the Randal's Pistol Shrimp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hVgTo5oReg
The pistol shrimp, named Seamus, is still alive and loving it. He likes to punch the little hermit crabs when they get too close. Once any possible parasites have had time to die off, I'll be getting the shrimp another goby pal.

And on the amphibian side of things, here are my lovely baby boys and gals, the Dendrobates auratus "El Cope" poison dart frogs! I adore these dudes. There are 5 in here but I think I only caught 4 of them in the video. 3 boys and 2 girls. They're doing super well as usual. I just cleaned the front glass so I can actually see them. Cleaning their cage can make them stop calling and breeding for a month, so I do it very sparingly. Here they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU6xBkxqz-4
I love how you can see a fly go by on the vine at 0:22 .

And an added bonus! While I was in the pet room tidying and taking videos, miss Kaylee decided to pop out and say hello. She's a Lygodactylus wiliamsi day gecko. Her mate is bright blue, but the girls range from brown to green. Here she is smiling at me:

I hope nobody minds these dumb pet updates I do . I enjoy doing them and I hope someone out there likes seeing my crew as much as I do.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I always enjoy seeing your animals! The frogs and gecko are so pretty & cute. Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry about your goby. He and the little shrimp were very cute peeking out from their rock. And of course I have to ask...any chance of a video of the hermit crabs? The marine ones look so weird to me because I'm so used to my guys.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

We're still waiting for their new shells to get here. Looks like the shells just passed through customs. I'm hoping to catch the little guys switching homes on video, so I'll share that once it happens, whether I catch them or not. Hopefully sometime this week!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Crab time is best time

Well. The shells are way too big. They'll grow into them but that means I get to try to find some smaller ones somewhere. Here's a video of everybody in the tank after I fed Seamus, the pistol shrimp.

Looks like videos can't be embedded here, so here's the link:
https://youtu.be/0Gpah3lhPqs

Everything in the tank right now (Except Seamus) is in there just to clean up the mess from any other inhabitants. Since my messy inhabitant died already, I have to feed these guys once a week. I'll be adding some zoanthid corals soon, as well as another fishy at some point.

Here's a zoanthid picture thread for the curious: Reef Central Zoanthid Pictures and Videos

I got all my information to start things up from Reef Central. They're a group of really great people, even though the population size compared to here is extremely overwhelming
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Crabbies!!! They're so cute! But oh dear, those shells really are too big...oops! I hope you can find some smaller ones somewhere. What size is the opening on the ones you bought? And from that, can you estimate what the opening size likely is that your crabs are in now? I have a container of pretty tiny shells, I could see if they're any more suitable for your little ones!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in