Cameras - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cameras

This is REALLY off topic, but I was just wondering what kind of cameras everyone here has.
I see so many amazing pictures of our very fast moving little guys and girls, but am completely unable to get a decent one of my little guy. The few decent pics I have gotten were taken with my phone (Droid 2- worst phone ever). My brand new Nikon coolpix is completely unable to get a picture and my 3 year old Olympus fe-340 struggles with it.

I'm debating trying my film camera and see how well that goes, but I have no way to develop my film at the moment (I do it myself, dark room and all) but haven't gotten chemicals yet (I was previously using my school's equipment, but I kinda graduated...) I refuse to take it to walmart or cvs or anywhere else, if I spent that much for the film, I'm doing it myself.

So, I'm just wondering what you guys use, or would suggest.
Ava99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Cameras

I did have a Kodak easyshare c743 but now I have upgraded to a Nikon D3100.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you can adjust the shutter speed on your film camera that might be able to work. I personally think DSLR cameras are the best (if you know how to work them) mainly because you adjust the ISO and many other options. I have a Canon XSI at the current moment. You can prob find a used one for a good price sense a bunch of new models have come out by now. A decent point and shoot may work too you just have to figure out what setting to use. Phones generally don't have very good megapixels.
kelybely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Nikon Coolpix and can't stand the thing. Honestly, the best pictures I have of Lulu were taken with my iPhone but prior to the camera I have now, I also had a Kodak EasyShare and I loved that thing - super easy to use and great quality pics.

Let us know what you wind up doing! I would loveee to get a new camera so if anybody suggests something great, I may just be tempted to get a new one also

mizgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got the Nikon as a graduation gift, and was like "hey!! brand name, brand new, it's got to be better than my dinky old Olympus!" nope. I have yet to get a decent picture out of the thing, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I think I'm going to sneak my grandmother's camera ( I think it's a canon, it's a fairly advanced point and shoot) and will update with how that does. I want a camera that I can manually adjust the shutter speed and ISO settings, without it being too big to fit into his cage or over $500 (which somewhat rules out most DSLR cameras...)
Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Odd...it won't let me edit my previous post...

Update:
Jacked my grandma's camera (she's taking a nap...I didn't want to wake her up...that's my story anyway she's not a fan of animals in general, and doesn't like Westley being outside of my room, or anything of hers being near him)
It's a Canon Powershot SX210 IS
It-to my absolute amazement- had a manual function. I could literally manually set EVERYTHING including the intensity of the flash, ISO, and shutter speed (up to 1/2000 of a second, the f stop has a very small range though, only going to 3.1)
I had a few issues with the lighting without the flash, and didn't have time ("borrowed" remember?) to really figure it out, however, the few pictures I did get that I could see, Westley was completely clear, if a bit dark.
I am, however, still looking for my own camera and suggestions are still welcome
Thanks to everyone thus far!!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

i just use my iphone mostly
but the other pics are with my samsung point and shoot

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava99
Odd...it won't let me edit my previous post...
You only have like 5 minutes to edit a post.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough, and personally I love the thing. (It's my first camera that is mine-all-mine It was a gift.) It can go underwater and everything!

To get pictures of Carlos, though, sometimes I..... I cheat! I take a video of him, then in Movie Maker or Photoshop I grab a frame from the video and save it as a photo. THAT is my deep dark secret on photographing my lightning quick hedgie. But only sometimes! If I want a big, high resolution shot of him, I gotta do it the old-fashioned way (Which for me, that's taking a buttload of pics until I get at least one or two that turn out)

**Edited to ad this next part
I actually use my phone to take pics, (decent phone but definitely not the best camera) because 97.999999% of the time he does something photogenic, it's the only thing I've got nearby
Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT
You only have like 5 minutes to edit a post.
How have I never noticed this?!

@SaltandExtraPepper:
The fact that you were creative enough to come up with that offsets the fact that you are indeed cheating

I can't use my phone most of the time because 90% of his cutest poses are when he's sleeping and my phone has this awful shutter sound that (as far as I can tell) can't be silenced. It's a full volume (can't turn it down either) shutter opening that always wakes him up (meaning no second try if the first one is blurry)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in