If you think a hedgehog is too clingy... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default If you think a hedgehog is too clingy...

...get hermit crabs! I was thinking about someone's comment that if you think a cat is too clingy, you should look into hedgehogs. I think it might've been MomLady? And my little guys are making me feel like this right now. Everyone's buried right now, and I can't even tell if either of the little guys are coming out at night. *sigh* I just changed the food tonight, so I'll be able to see in the morning if anyone's messed it up. Boromir (my medium crab) is still burrowed in the isolation tank and has been for 3 weeks tomorrow. I'm fairly certain he's molting, which means I could have another 3+ weeks to wait. I miss my buddy! The littles are adorable, but they're pretty shy and even Eowyn still runs & hides if I happen to catch them out in the open. But even that beats seeing no signs that anyone's alive at all! Really looking forward to someone coming back up to mess up my nice clean tank & give me something to do!
Nancy and MomLady like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am fascinated by your hermit crab adventures. Until you got them, I had no idea how much was involved with them.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Which is why I'm glad I don't see them being sold all over the place anymore. Poor little guys. I had no idea there was so much to their care either!
Lilysmommy likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have to admit, I'm glad I had done at least a little research before I up & decided to take them on. If I hadn't, I would've gotten quite the rude awakening. And I'd say that's the situation with at least half of the new people on my hermit crab forum. People find the forum when trying to find out why their crab's leg fell off or why they won't change into a shell, etc. and then panic because their entire set up is wrong. There's just so much bad information out there about these little guys.

I've really been enjoying talking about them in various locations (here, Facebook, etc.) because a lot of people are learning more about them that way. Hopefully it'll do some good at some point. I'm hoping it'll have a similar effect as my hedgehog obsession. My friends heard me talk about hedgehog requirements so often that most of them can recite the basic care information (heat, cage size, wheel, food, behavior, etc.) from memory now, and I've had a couple of friends educate others in various places and report back to me to let me know how it went. I was so proud! My own little hedgehog crusaders force.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, it was me that said hedgies are for people that think cats are too clingy.

I am really enjoying hearing about your adventures with your crabby ones.
Lilysmommy likes this.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am also enjoying hearing about them.... I had a trio of smuggled hermit crabs when I was young. But the more i learn about them from you, the less likely I am to add them to my zoo. I need to interact and see them. I can't handle the weeks of nothing.
So for the time I stick with hedgehogs, birds, tortoises and the new additions rabbits. I see and interact with them every day.
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't blame you, twobytwo! It's kind of a bummer not to be able to see your pets "enjoying" what you give them. But at the same time, I'm okay with keeping them because I'd rather know they have what they need. If I give them to someone else, I'd be too worried that they're not being cared for well. I'm not sure I'll ever go out of my way to get more though. The most I've considered is taking in a few more from a Craigslist ad or if someone posts on the forum for someone to adopt in my area. And then only if I have the room - I want to make sure I can provide for my guys long-term, so I don't want to end up with 15, 30, or 50 like some people have. I know not all make it to jumbo size, but I've also read a lot that the ones most likely to do so are the ones kept in small groups. Fewer crabs, fewer chances of someone getting hurt or killed while molting, etc.

On the plus side, someone is still coming up in the main tank at night. The food was mussed this morning, mostly the powdered freeze-dried beef liver and the calcium powder. That makes me wonder if the culprit is preparing to molt, by going for the big-ticket items. Animal protein & calcium are the two most important things for molters, both before & after. Plus, they're due pretty soon, so we'll see how long before they join the MIA list.

Also, new rabbits! Do you have pictures? I've been reading more about their care recently, partly due to curiosity, partly due to boredom (I've been researching random animals all week, both ones I'll be definitely getting & ones I wouldn't mind having). I'd written them off when I was looking for my first pet because I thought they were too timid & skittish. So I got a hedgehog instead.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't have pictures yet of foxy and Jessica. They were rescues and foxy looks really rough. He was in a pen with other males and they weren't nice to each other. They are easy to care for. Food in the dish, fresh water and hay every day. The most labor intensive is swapping their frozen water bottles out a couple times a day.
The boys like to do the rabbit chores. Or they like to go out and play.
Jessica is more timid, she will allow us to pet her through her cage but gets nervous when we are in her cage. Foxy runs to the door to be petted and even tried throwing his chew stick at me. They have been with us since Monday. Putting cages together was a challenge. We will be building hutches soon.
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
I'd written them off when I was looking for my first pet because I thought they were too timid & skittish. So I got a hedgehog instead.
That is hilarious.

Rabbits were my fourth, fifth, and seventh pets. The last was a litter-box trained lop-eared who had full run of the house and, remarkably, didn't hurt herself, damage too much, or burn the house down.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I hope they settle in soon, Twobytwo! They sound like they were lucky to find you guys. They're going to have a great home now!

Yeah, younger me should've done more research. I know more about them now and would like to have some someday, but we'll see if it works out. Given their space requirements, I'm not sure they'd work out in our apartment for the foreseeable future, especially since my friend wants a cat or two. I'm not a huge fan of having predators hanging out with prey animals, and while I probably wouldn't give rabbits the run of the apartment, my room will already be off limits to the cats because I plan to have a hedgehog & possibly rats in there (and probably wouldn't have room for rabbits too!). I'd hate to block my friend's room off to any cats too. I want a zoo, but only as long as everyone has enough room! Humans excluded, I suppose. My friend's already insisting there won't be any room for people in this apartment.
Soyala_Amaya likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in