Upsetting Petting Zoo, Going to Talk to them Again Tomorrow - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Upsetting Petting Zoo, Going to Talk to them Again Tomorrow

So it's forth of July, well, third of July, and I am at a local park that is doing a large event. There was a petting zoo there by Honey Hill Farm, and they had their ponies, their goats, and oh, what's this? A HEDGEHOG! They were in an INSECT CONTAINER, and no sign for what it was and info like with all the other animals, nothing. I did finally find someone and ask if that was it's living quarters and it was a travel cage, but seriously...
Tomorrow the event continues and I will ask about the poor hedgies diet and I want to collect my thoughts a bit and not speak only of my emotions but also logically. I also cried when I looked at it today, so I wasn't ready.

I grabbed a business card. "Honey Hill Farm, Mobile Petting Zoo & Pony Rides" the info: 859-654-8015, [email protected] is the email, and website is honeyhillfarm.net for those interested. I will hopefully update tomorrow.

Some hedgies get fantastic homes and care, and some don't. I'm holding Gus close now. Poor baby. So much noise and stress while he's trying to sleep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1435974925455.jpg (194.5 KB, 53 views)
ellarose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Aww! There's no room for him to move around at all! Is there even any food or water there? I don't see any. How long did they have him there?
Sir Quilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

No food, no water. He was forced to be there all day I believe. I am going to complain today. I am so upset.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That's awful. Good luck with complaining to them, I hope they'll be willing to listen.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. I'm going to bring my zoo med thermometer and a snuggle safe disk if they allow me to handle the poor baby. My brother and I were joking about poking it up and running lol
Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is worth noting according to their website they are usda licensed. They would have the exhibition category most likely. The requirements would most likely include care on outings. I'm checking for an easy listing of the requirements
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Shame poor thing...If I was there I would probably take the poor thing and run! How dare someone put a hedgie in this small container!!! They are more than just a pet they are family. Good-luck complaining and I hope they stop.
HedgieHutSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicatio...fs_anexhit.pdf
Old 07-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't really see the problem with the container, yes it's small, but hedgehogs are asleep during the day anyway so the size doesn't matter much. I personally don't get why you would take a hedgehog to such an event, though.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think the bigger issue is the lack of water and the heat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in