Dog necessities checked off - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Dog necessities checked off

I just had to share because I'm super excited about having this all done. I now have my vet clinic, groomer, and food location all settled for the dog (and future pets) for our new location (Kansas City)!!

I'd already noticed a store in the area that sells a ton of great dry food brands, and many commercial raw foods as well. That includes the brand that I've been feeding my dog, so I was already figuring on that place to buy food from. The store includes a grooming center, so I could take my dog there for grooming regularly as well.

Well, tonight I checked my raw feeding FB group & found a vet recommended for KC that's either tolerant to or encourages raw feeding, so I checked them out. Aaaaaaand I'm absolutely in love already. The vets all sound fantastic, and they have a vet who sees birds, reptiles, and small mammals as well (so I'd be all set for whatever animals I end up with). They have a vet that does nutritional consultations, which I'm very interested in. And the thing that made my decision complete - they do NOT use or sell Hill's Science Diet foods. They use other means (including other nutritional changes) for managing health issues. I know the prescription diets have some uses & that some people find they work well for their pets, but I just hate the brand & how often they're recommended by vets. The ingredients are awful, and if a company/brand is going to brag about how much research they do, I think their foods should be much higher quality than they are. (Okay, rant over, I promise).

Better yet - the vet clinic's recommended links includes the store/grooming place I was already checking out, so that's also a definite! And another added bonus, the clinic has a full-time position open for a kennel attendant, so I'm going to try applying. Wish me luck!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good luck! The move is coming up pretty quickly, right?
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yup, two weeks & three days! I still have a lot to do, but I do have about 3/4 of my books packed (I'm up to 23 boxes so far...sigh), and that's the bulk of my packing. I have Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday this next week all off from work. I'll be doing some visiting on Sunday, but Monday & Tuesday are still clear right now. I'm hoping to visit U-Haul on Monday for a towing inspection & to make sure I can get everything I need to haul a trailer. I'll also be running some other errands. I'm hoping to have books packed, as well as other things, by the time Tuesday is over. I also need to get stuff listed to sell on Craigslist or Facebook or something, I'm just hoping to finish going through everything first, so I can do a "master list" of sorts.
MomLady and CoffeeKat like this.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

What is the vet? Just curious since I'm from the area, I love my vet.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mariposa Veterinary Wellness Center - http://www.mariposavet.com/ I did check the Kansas/Missouri threads in the vet listings here too, to see if there were any posts, and saw yours! That was another vet I'd looked at, but I think I'm going to try these guys out first & see if I like them & if the cost is reasonable for the level of care, etc. I just really like the options they offer & that they don't use Science Diet at all. And I have a feeling our first visit will be sooner than I'd like, the dog's left ear is pretty flared up right now & if it's not better with regular cleaning by the time I get down there, we'll be going in to have it checked out. Darn cocker spaniel ears...

Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sure my vet's office is great for other animals too, I just love that they're so exotic knowledgeable. I love going through their flickr page and seeing all the really cool stuff, like the bald eagle!

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

The grooming center/store you found wouldn't happen to be Brookside Barkery and Bath, would it? That place is awesome! And welcome to Kansas City
Old 06-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The one I have bookmarked for now is actually called 4 Paws Pantry & Spa - http://4pawspantry.com/ But I looked at Brookside too! I'll probably visit all of these places, to be honest, and spend way too long in them. And thank you! Down to 1 week and 4 days!
CoffeeKat and DesireeM81 like this.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thought I'd come back to this post to update about our first visit with the new vet clinic. ***To be clear, this experience is all with my cocker spaniel, Tessa, not with a hedgehog! Just wanted to make sure I posted that up front in case anyone got confused, heh.

We saw Dr. Sheila Dodson today, who's also the owner of the clinic. I really liked her! She spent nearly an hour with us, checking Tessa over, going over what I could remember of her history (I'm bad & don't have her records with us yet ), discussing her diet, and suggesting things to address. For right now, she does have a yeast infection in her ears (the groomer said she didn't...shouldn't have believed her apparently) & she developed a cough Tuesday morning while we were on our way from Iowa. It's still pretty bad, so Dr. Sheila gave us some pills to try & help. She thinks it's likely due to allergies from the new location, and if the cough doesn't die down in the next couple weeks, we'll check for heart issues.

We're also looking at surgery to remove some masses from her mouth. Her previous vet told me they weren't an issue - Dr. Sheila looked pretty displeased at that & said she really feels they should've been removed before now & wants to make sure they're not cancerous. They gave me a quote for the surgery, and while I'm okay with going ahead on it, it's gonna have to wait until I can apply for (and hopefully get) CareCredit - it'd be just over $750! I inquired about surgery on such an old lady & she said if her bloodwork checks out, it's not any more of a risk. They also use less IV anesthetic in favor of more gas (the animal recovers more quickly) & use acupuncture to help manage pain.

The visit today was just over $100, which wasn't too bad to me - it seemed to be well worth the care & patience they showed with her. The exam fee was $45, the rest was for ear cleaning & the meds.

Also, I was completely thrilled with the nutrition side of the visit. The clinic sells one of the brands of raw food I know of in their lobby, along with good quality treats & some other good food brands (including the best bird food brand I know of). I told Dr. Sheila that Tessa's on a raw diet & she was quite pleased with that. She agreed that the grinds made sense for her when I described our struggles with switching (she can't digest whole chunks of raw meat well). She was happy that I have good quality treats as well. She did give a couple recommendations, to add in more fish to her diet (for the fatty acids) & coconut oil as well.

I mentioned about going to Four Paws & Brookside Barkery & she said both are fantastic & the people there know their stuff, so I can trust them with any questions. I was very excited to hear that, and can't wait to go check them out! And I found out that the vet clinic does offer boarding for their clients, so I'm very happy about that too.

Overall, I'm definitely in love with this clinic already. I'll be sticking with them for Tessa, and will probably bring future pets here as well. I'll make sure I post in the vet recs page once I have a hedgehog to take to them.

Edit: I forgot to add that they like to only vaccinate when necessary, don't give unnecessary vaccines, and don't recommend giving vaccines to older dogs (I believe she said older than 8 years). Rather than doing the rabies vaccine after that age, they do rabies titers to check for the level of antibodies & see if the dog is still protected (which they usually are). I'm pretty happy with all of that too, with everything I've read on my raw dog groups.
MomLady, CoffeeKat and DesireeM81 like this.

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 07-09-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kelsey, we have been friends for a long time. If your pup is ever in need of a procedure, you know I would be glad to help out.
Lilysmommy likes this.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in