Pocket, not doing so well, among other things - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry
Default Pocket, not doing so well, among other things

Not sure if yall remember but a couple/few weeks ago I took in a ferret that had either got loose or was let go. He had ear mites, fleas, was a little underweight, and refused to eat anything. Well he's still being treated for ear mites, but he finally started eating the raw diet I tried with him. Recently he has started losing a large amount of fur, losing weight, itching, straining while using the bathroom, and eating alotttt more. First thing that came out of my vets mouth, Adrenal Disease. From everything I had been told about it was that there is no cure and the ferrets usually don't make it. After talking to my vet and friends there are two options that came up, surgery and medication. In his case it seems medication is they best option. I'm off to the vet with him tomorrow to see what we can do. When it rains, it pours. Please keep him in your thoughts!

On a happy note, I got new rabbits and rats! My good friend from SC that raises English Spots GAVE me some totally awesome does and bucks. Unfortunately I don't have the pedigrees, but I know who they came from, and I got one of my does I havn't seen since 2008 back! I was shocked at how nice she turned out, guess that's why you should hang onto some iffy juniors! Obviously with her being that old I'm not going to breed her, I just really miss her dad and she acts just like him. I got 1 Tort buck, 1 gold buck, 2 gold does(one has 4 babies with her and the other is suppose to be bred), 1 blue buck, 1 blue doe, 2 lilac does, 1 chocolate buck, and 1 chocolate doe. So excited about them! As for the rats, I got several lol I have them in their new cages and everything, about to go pick out names and write down their information for cage tags. The rabbits also need names, sooo I need 28 new names Anyone want to help?
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pocket, not doing so well, among other things

I will be thinking of Pocket, poor guy.

My daughter's guppy had babies a while back. She named them all Bob. LOL.

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sending healing thoughts.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Poor Pocket. I hope medication will work for him and he will live a long fuzzy life.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry

Thanks everybody
Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJM

I hope Pocket gets to feeling better & the meds work.
Congrats on the new additions! I have no idea where to begin with names!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you!

Me either, I've been out getting ear numbers, sexes, colors, etc. all afternoon. I think he accidently gave me a Lilac Doe instead of Blue Buck lol. So far I have:

GreenBean's ? (I can't remember her name to save my life!)
Ear #: GB?(looks like an 8 but it's so faded I can't be sure)
Chocolate Sr. Doe

NNY(No Name Yet)
Ear #: N/A(doesn't have one)
Tortoise Sr. Buck

NNY
Ear #: XR4
Lilac Sr. Doe
Bred to Lilac Buck.

NNY
Ear #: RJ7
Blue Sr. Doe
Bred to Justin's Houston.

NNY
Ear #: R7U
Lilac Sr. Buck

NNY
Ear #: N/A
Gold Sr. Doe
Possibly Bred

NNY
Ear #: E3
Gold Sr. Buck

NNY
Gold Sr. Doe
4 kits - 1 Marked Tort(possible Gold Smutt), 1 Solid Tort, 1 Charlie Tort(possible Gold Smutt), 1 Charlie Gold(looks like it might be a Smutt, didn't want to stress it out too much to check so just glanced)

NNY
Chocolate Sr. Buck

NNY
Ear #: Didn't check this girls, she was freaking out so I just gave her some fresh food and water and let her be.
Lilac Sr. Doe
Bred to the Chocolate Buck.

That's it for the new rabbits! Will definitely have pictures either tonight or tomorrow, hopefully this evening after it cools down

As for the rats, I'm about to go get their info right now. Will have their info and pictures up soon as well!
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Awww. I hope pocket lives a long life, such a sweet and friendly animal doesn't deserve to die young. He'll be in my thoughts.

And holy that's alot of animals haha. I wish I could afford having that many
Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you He's still acting like his normal self, playful as ever!

Yeah I love them all. Going to the night show this weekend, hopefully I'll find a nice Tan buck and can get some Tan breeding done! Was talking to a few other breeders and I might be able to make it to convention this year in Indiana! If I do I'll be picking up some completely awesome rabbits, and it will be my first time going to a big ARBA convention, so I will probably be all jittery and everything lol
Old 07-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Poor Pocket All of that does sound consistent with Adrenal disease except the straining to go to the bathroom (I assume you mean pooping) - Please make sure your vet rules out a blockage as well by doing a barium xray or by at least properly feeling the ferret's belly (only expereinced ferret vets really know how to do this). I would hate to think he could have a blockage AND adrenal disease, but ferrets can get floating blockages, where the blockage (usually a hairball) floats around and causes problems pooping but doesn't fully block them up.

Especially if he's losing the hair from the adrenal disease I would be concerned he might have a hairball. You can try giving extra pumpkin and hairball medicine for a few days to see if something pushes through but otherwise I would get this checked out just to be safe.

So sorry about the adrenal, medication is usually the best option rather than putting these guys through traumatic surgeries and I hope Pocket is able to live a long and healthy life on the medication

As for your rabbit names... Maybe name them in groups of names, like for example you could name them for groups of characters from your favourite TV shows or you could name them for types of flowers or months of the year, etc. Otherwise it's a HUGE naming task haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in