Hermit Crab Adventures - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Hermit Crab Adventures

I thought I'd start a better-named thread to post crabby updates and pictures on, if no one minds.

I'm super excited tonight because when I went to put in frozen food, I found Boromir, the medium crab, by the dry food bowl. I kind of scared the heck out of the poor guy, really. He tried to run for the hills, and I probably should have let him, but I've been wanting to measure shell openings so I can make sure I have appropriate sizes in the tank. So out he came for a minute or so. He was less than impressed & wouldn't come out while I held him (understandably), but I still took a couple quick pictures.

I love how pretty and bright his colors are. And I'm absolutely thrilled that two of my crabbies are up, even if they're only come out at night! Now I'm just waiting on the other small crab, Merry. He was missing a leg when I got him, so I'm hoping he's taking a nice long time to molt & hopefully regrow it.
MomLady, Draenog, Shnoot and 1 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 03:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

So cute I've always loved hermit crabs

I remember catching tiny ones on the shores of the Mediterranean sea in Greece as a child. They were so cute.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

So, thought this was neat...weird...but neat
http://inhabitat.com/aki-inomatas-cr...ll-2/?extend=1

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I love their adorable little faces and eyes. Also I was told on my hermit crab forum that he probably did molt - in the second picture, you can see little black tips on the ends of his legs, which is an indicator of a recent molt. So that explains his pretty colors. I'm glad it went well for him, molting is one of the crabby things that I'm most anxious about!

And that's interesting, Soyala! I've seen similar things, such as someone who makes glass/mineral shells for crabs. As long as the materials aren't harmful to them, it's pretty neat!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so excited - both of the crabs that were burrowed underground for the past 5 weeks are up now! And it's clear that they've both molted successfully as well. I feel like I've gotten over my first huge hurdle with owning hermit crabs. Molts can be dangerous & is one of the most common times to lose a hermit crab. So I was really anxious about them. I think my third crabby, Pippin (who's been up for the past 5 weeks) has gone down to molt now as I haven't seen him in a few days, possibly a week. But I'll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, here's my two beautiful, newly-molted babies!

Boromir (a medium crab)

Merry (a small crab)

I think Merry's shell in this picture is ugly, but I got a chance to measure his opening while he was out. So I put in a bunch of appropriately-sized shells last night and got what I was hoping for - the ugly shell was abandoned today when I checked. I'm not sure what he moved into yet, I haven't seen him today.

Boromir is still in the new Favorite Place - perched on back of the cork round, underneath the shell shop. Both of them were there when I found them last night.

They've also been destroying their dry food dishes. The protein powder mix I made is disappearing pretty quickly, and so are the earthworm castings. Apparently worm poop is a hermit crab favorite. Who knew? And they're pooping in the supplements dish too, quite a bit. Someone needs to tell them they're not supposed to poop in their food!
MomLady and DesireeM81 like this.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been following all of your updates. Glad to hear things are going so well. They sure seem like happy spoiled little crabs!
Lilysmommy likes this.
MaryJ83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I"m glad you're enjoying my updates! I'm seriously loving talking about these little guys to anyone and everyone. My poor coworkers are probably very tired of me by now. But to their credit, no one's told me to shut up yet!

Boromir, my medium crab, is an adorable dork & decided to switch into my prettiest shell last night. It also happens to be the biggest shell in there & way too big for him.

He can almost disappear inside it! But he's such a cutie. He's starting to get a little bolder after his molt & came out while I was holding him tonight, which I was thrilled about.

Unfortunately, newly molted crabby nails are SHARP! So the holding didn't last terribly long. It was still really nice though.

As for the other two, Merry's disappeared again (possibly burrowed to flee the scary giant who harassed him the other night?) & Pippin's still MIA with a possible molt. Boromir's being a piggy & making a nice mess of the food dishes without any help though. So far he's a huge fan of the powdered bonemeal, earthworm castings (these are the favorite by far right now), and my powdered protein mix. I think he's been nibbling at the dried squash & cucumber too, they're always dragged over to the protein side of the bowl.
DesireeM81 likes this.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

It is a very lovely shell but you are right about it being a bit big for him. He is really kind of comical looking in it! lol
Lilysmommy likes this.
MaryJ83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 02:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sounds like everyone's adjusting.

Boromir is really a cutie, seems like their personalities are starting to come out.

Great pictures too.
Lilysmommy likes this.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

It seems Boromir is the type to sacrifice for fashion! "Your arbitrary measurements mean nothing to me, Human! The Great Boromir shall look fabulous!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in