Hello from the new girl... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from the new girl...

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself... I'm Jenna, longtime lurker and first-time poster. Not a hedgie mommy quite yet, but I should be getting my little man here in the next week or two. Just wanted to say hello

I miss having a home zoo
jennaisrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hello from the new girl...

welcome! i am also in IL. where are you getting your hedgie from?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Welcome to the forum!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hello friends I'm actually not 100% sure exactly where my hedgie is coming from breeder-wise, but I'm ordering it through a pet store in Jacksonville. They don't keep hedgehogs in stock, I just have to call them on Monday and he'll be there the next day - I guess I can assume the breeder is nearby? I'm going to try and get more info when I order him. I couldn't find any breeders online that were near me so I started calling pet stores and this one seemed the most knowledgeable. I'm hoping for the best - if anything I can give a sad hedgie a good home Unless someone knows of a reputable breeder around the central Illinois area? Any suggestions would be rad!

I miss having a home zoo
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Welcome to HHC! Congrats on your future hedgie! I'm so excited for you!!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

First of all, WELCOME TO HHC

Now, I don't want to be a party pooper... but did the pet store tell you WHERE they were getting their hedgehogs from?

I ask because pet stores will often get their animals from mills or backyard breeders, which are not the most ideal places to get your baby.

The main issue is the concern over health, and genetically passed on diseases such as Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome. I'm sure you've read about it somewhere on here.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome!

And yes, I am very aware of the risks associated with pet store hedgies - I have done a ton of research, mostly on here. Unfortunately, like I said, I don't know of any breeders around here so I'm kinda stuck with the pet store. Whatever the case, I know I have plenty of support from you guys on here and I'm just super excited!

I miss having a home zoo
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaisrad
And yes, I am very aware of the risks associated with pet store hedgies - I have done a ton of research, mostly on here. Unfortunately, like I said, I don't know of any breeders around here so I'm kinda stuck with the pet store. Whatever the case, I know I have plenty of support from you guys on here and I'm just super excited!
I just took a quick glance at the breeder list on HHC and I already found 2 breeders listed in IL. I don't know how up-to-date the list is, but I found them within a minute or two of searching, their information from HHC is listed below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaisrad
They don't keep hedgehogs in stock, I just have to call them on Monday and he'll be there the next day - I guess I can assume the breeder is nearby?
This definitely concerns me. Most breeders have a breeding schedule and you never know if hedgehogs are already going to be reserved for someone else. The fact that the pet store said that after you ask for a hedgehog, it could be there the next day, definitely has me worried. It sure sounds like the pet store is getting their hedgehogs from either a mill or a non-reputable breeder if they're able to obtain a hedgehog that quickly.

I checked how far away each of the three breeders' locations were from you based on your given location on the forum using Google maps. Normal is 1.5 hours away and Aurora is 3.5 hours away. At the most, you'd be traveling for an 8 hour ride (with traffic), which isn't that long when you consider getting your hedgehog from a reputable source/breeder, insuring that your hedgehog is healthy and well taken care of and plus the money you'd save with shipping costs. Also, the pet store could lie to you about where they are receiving their hedgehogs from, I doubt they'd actually want you know that they were getting their hedgehogs from a mill or a breeder who doesn't actually care about their hogs and are just in it for the money. You might have to wait longer to get your hedgehog, but if you ask me, it's worth the wait. These are just some things to consider... Here's the information I mentioned above:

"Laurel J. Sedgwick
Normal, IL
USDA licensed breeder, USDA # 33-A-0468

[email protected]

We are a small-scale breeder focusing on friendly temperament and longevity.
No Shipping

Pogzilla's
Anastasia Ortolano
Aurora, IL
630 236 3499

[email protected]

Due to having a smaller herd, we are able to give our babies hours of individual attention daily, to ensure a healthy, loving new addition to your family. Typically we have babies available year round."
Kenzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Whoops. From looking at the forum after I posted, people have said to avoid Pogzilla's and Laurel doesn't breed any more . Guess I should have done more research myself before posting suggestions , but I figured if they was on HHC's breeder list, they'd be okay. Anyway, I'd still recommend buying from a reputable breeder over a pet store hedgie where you have no real idea where s/he came from! If you don't have transportation, there are breeders that ship
Kenzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

there are no decent breeders in IL. the closest would be Hedgie Haven in IN or Gail Dick in OH, which is a bit of driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in