For those of you who feed pinkies... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default For those of you who feed pinkies...

This is not a post to criticize you, but to inform you of how pinkies are killed at a large chain pet store in the US. PETA recently posted a video of a local Petland and how they kill their pinkies.

GRAPHIC WARNING!

http://youtu.be/hiaaiiol5gA

Ughhh, people make me sick...

Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: For those of you who feed pinkies...

And how else should they be killed? I dont get it.

PETA is completely against killing any animal, doesn't matter it for feeder, research on cancer drugs (guess no one there ever needed cancer drugs huh) or whatever. I personally think it's ridiculous. If I'd consider the video, so I guess I should feed my hedgies a vegan diet -- what about the poor mealworms, and the chickens that died to make kibble? How were they killed? How inhumane of me!

It's just my opinion... And yeah, I completely dislike PETA. I think they're a bunch of terrorists, using intimidation to get to their points.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Let's not get into a PETA debate. It can get nasty.

Anywho, thanks for the heads up. I just got a small pack of pinkies from Petsmart, and I just assumed that they gave the animals gas to kill them, and then freeze them. If my hedgehog likes the pinkies I got it, I will definitely find a reputable seller that kills pinkies humanely.
elise5211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think using gas to kill them is any better than freezing them. Years ago while in college I worked at a lab and sometimes we would kill the mice using gas, and they don't die instantly. They suffocate.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

CO2 is considered more humane by most people, mainly because it is a less "painful" way of killing them.

Also, I am not a 100% supporter of PETA either, but the fact that the employee admitted that sometimes they put them in a bag and smash the bag around until they die... I'm sorry, but that's not so humane.

EDIT:

Also, my post was not to spark a PETA debate, so I don't think people should really be discussing their opinions on the organization.

My point was to educate those who may feel as though this is an inhumane way of supplying pinkies.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me either, but I certainly don't believe hedgehogs should be on a vegan diet I realize that it is a natural part of these animals that they need to eat meat, etc. but because we have forced these animals into a position where they are living an unnatural way of life, I feel that taking responsibility of how we're giving their food, how these animals are treated before they are made food, etc is equally as important.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I killed many mice at the lab holding them by the tail and hitting their head at the counter. It's a instant death.

I agree that food should have the best quality possible, don't even get me started on it. But I honestly dont see freezing pinkies as something bad. I guess I'm a horrible heartless person!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanaproenca
I killed many mice at the lab holding them by the tail and hitting their head at the counter. It's a instant death.

I agree that food should have the best quality possible, don't even get me started on it. But I honestly dont see freezing pinkies as something bad. I guess I'm a horrible heartless person!
I'm pretty sure you're more trained than these Petland workers. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cases where they don't do it properly and the animals are suffering instead of having instant death.

I get squeamish even thinking about feeding pinkies! I don't think you are a heartless person; you clearly care very much about your hedgies and seem very passionate about the welfare and treatment of animals.

But when I imagine myself being put in the same situation, I would certainly choose being gassed with CO2 than freezing to death. That's how I reason whether it is more/less humane.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

The petland that I use to work at didn't put them in the freeze alive. They'd put the pinkies in clear, airtight containers and leave them there way longer then necessary. They'd suffocate, then be frozen.

EDIT:

I only feed live pinkies. Petland is only about a 2 minute drive from my house. Petsmart and Petcetera are about 20 minutes from my house, so I just pick up a weekly supply.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry

For the ones I kill here, be it rat or mouse, I use CO2. I can't stand the thought of feeding live (except insects). I know some that do the spine separation thing(I can't remember what it's called), I wouldn't be able to do this unless absolutely necessary. I have had to do this with rabbits in the past. As for freezing, in the past with baby rabbits I was always told to either put them in the freezer or bash them on the head. I have frozen them before because I could not handle bashing them on the head. (I didn't do this for fun or anything like that, it was because they were dying from injuries inflicted by the moms.) I always feel awful when having to kill any animal but the only reasons I ever would is for food or to end its suffering. In the video the only thing that bothered me bad was employee 3.

I'm sorry if this makes anyone upset with me or makes anyone hate me, but that's just my views on it.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Current lab tech here, although I work with rats, not mice. I think most people would be surprised at how many rules and regulations there are regarding animal care in a laboratory setting. Euthanasia, at least where I work, is very strictly monitored. None of the people I know who work with mice would ever be allowed to just hit their heads on the counter (not attacking you at all, susanaproenca, I'm sure you did what was right). Personally, I don't like using CO2 when I have to euthanize, it makes me uncomfortable. I don't think it's a very pretty, or very humane, death. Freezing is probably the most humane option if you need to kill something and have it still be edible for another animal.

All that being said, I don't think I could ever feed pinkies, alive or dead. It just crosses a line of what I feel comfortable doing. I try to give my hedgie the best diet possible, and have ignored my own squeamishness about insects every single day in order to get him what he needs, nutrient-wise. I tend to think he gets a good, varied diet without the pinkies, but maybe someday I'll change my mind.

I still think it's good to care a LOT about where your food comes from, whether it's for you or your pets. And, if you're a human, to obtain that food in the most humane way possible. That's pretty much the best we can do.

EDIT: greenbeans, that's called a cervical dislocation. For us, we can use it on mice but they have to be anesthetized first. Another reason why I am so glad we work with rats because the idea really bothers me.

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in