Pocket the Ferret - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry
Default Pocket the Ferret

This gorgeous little guy is Pocket and this is his story....

On Monday I was going through craigslist post as I usually do when I'm bored and saw a post about a ferret that had been found in Charlotte. I sent an email stating that I'd be interested in giving it a home if they were unable to find the owner (I'm a sucker for ferrets...........okay any animal really). Tuesday I had a reply from them asking me to call and I got busy cleaning and driving people everywhere, well the next day they sent me a picture to my cell phone and told me it was the ferret that had been found, I had completely forgot to call them so I did right then. This is then what I was told, the guy was taking his cat outside to have its supervised 'play/potty time' and he saw what he thought was a possum! So he grabbed the cat and ran back inside then came back out to see if that's what it was, nope! It was a ferret!! He said it ran right up to him and was the friendliest little thing, he gave it some water and offered it some dry cat food, it drank some water but didn't eat. They filed a report with animal control and made ads saying a ferret was found in that location, no one had tried contacting them. My guess is someone let him go, but then again maybe he escaped. So we talked for a while and set up a time for me to go meet them and bring the little bugger home. Yesterday me and my sister drove to Gastonia and when we got there, he brought the carrier over to my truck, what happened next surprised me.... He pulled out this adorable little ferret and started to hand it to me, the ferret came to me instantly, starting giving me kisses, and laid in my arms like a baby!! I fell in love right then. He was obviously someones pet at some point in time, the sweetest ferret I've ever met, and he's potty trained! I'm not sure how long he was in the 'wild' but his nails were super long and his ears were filthy. In the first few pictures you can see how long they were before I trimmed them. I missed a few but will get them tomorrow, he wanted to sleep.

The people that found him were great and screened homes, I'm so greatful they tried to find the owner and took this little guy in. They were incredibly friendly and cared for him a great deal. Unfortunately the little man has refused to eat anything but Premium ferret treats. I'm taking him to the vet today to get vaccinated and a checkup. I'm hoping the vet will have some advice on getting him to eat something other than treats.

As far as where I got the name from, I had taken him to my moms because I had to drop off my sister plus my mom wanted to see him (she totally fell in love with him and wants me to bring him back tomorrow after we leave the vets ) we were playing with him and he kept crawling into everything, pillow cases, covers, and tried to climb into my moms pocket and pants, so we named him Pocket!

Here are the pictures!

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pocket the Ferret

I love all the pictures, he looks so cute and cuddly! Hehe, and his eyes are gorgeous!!!
Kenzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

He is adorable.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Those sleeping pictures are awesome! I bet he is thrilled to be with you. Glad the people that found him were so careful with him and a new home.

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
PJM

Congratulations!! Pocket is adorable!! Such a sweet face.
I'm so glad that such caring people found him & that he has a happy home now.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Awe he's adorable, I also have a ferret but shes asble collored. How big is he? You could try 8 in 1 ultimate ferret food it has many good reviews. Ferret.com has the best pprices on anything you need for your ferret. Congrats! I'm thinking about getting one that color to keep my Maxwell company.
kelybely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Aww, he's so cute! And he sounds like a very sweet little guy!!! Congratulations!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh I love ferrets!! my brothe has had them for as long as I can rember. They are fun little guys. and you have goten your self one hansome guy, love the color and he lookes like a sweethart
Midevalmiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Awwww what a cutie! I love the sleeping pictures too. How wonderful of you to take him in and give him a loving home.

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry

Thanks everyone! He's a doll, I love him

kelybely - What color is he? I'm not familiar with all the different colors. I think it's adorable though He isn't very big actually compared to most ferrets I've seen, he's about a foot long maybe, that's just a guess, I don't have a ruler or anything so I could be way off He weighs a couple pounds it feels like, but I'm not good at guessing weight haha. I'll try the 8 in 1 and see if he likes it We are about to leave for the vet, wish us luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in