"He needs heat." - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "He needs heat."

I just need to share this hedgie horror story because I am pretty sad/worried.

At Crowfoot Petland in Calgary, they've begun selling hedgehogs. They've got the air conditioning on full blast, and the hedgies have no heat. I picked up one little hedgehog while I was there two days ago, and he was going into hibernation -- not able to unball, breathing very shallowly.

He didn't react to having his pressure point tickled, and didn't pop or hiss at all the whole time I held him.

I was pretty warm from having been outside, so I warmed him up for a few minutes with my body heat, and he was able to open up enough that I could see that he was a boy and I could feel his freezing belly. At that point a staff member came by, and I explained to him about hedgehog hibernation and the need for a heat lamp, and he listened and seemed concerned, but I got the impression that he was new and might not be taken seriously if he attempted to talk to the manager.

I wanted to buy the little guy so badly -- he was a little albino boy and he was so young and just... ahh, I felt so bad. On the other hand, by leaving him there, if something bad does happen to him... maybe they'll take better care of future hedgehogs.

I'm going to go check on the hedgehogs on Friday and talk to the manager, and then I'm probably going to contact the humane society...
MeyMey likes this.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Omg this IS a horror story You really need to talk to the manager and convince him\her to install a heating system for the hedgehogs! Let me tell you something, people don't really learn... Even if he dies, I really doubt they'll do something about it (I mean, for future hedgehogs). So if the manager does not cooperate, please do contact the humane society, this is so sad and I am heart broken...
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Go ahead and contact your local humane society/animal control and get them involved. Not sure what programs Canada has for stuff like this.
Katten likes this.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Katten: I called the Shawnessy location right after reading this post, because that's the petland location I deal with and I'm familiar with the staff there. I spoke with (Tawnya) and told her there is some negative feedback going on, on a very reputable hedgehog site (This one obviously ) regarding the Crowfoot location not having a heating system in place for their hedgehogs. I sked her what she could do to change this. She said she was ''shocked'' and that she ''will call the location and get a heating system in place ASAP'' and she was very grateful for the heads up on this matter.

Hopefully the problem is solved as I will be following up on the matter. I'm glad you mentioned this ☺
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yay saving hedgies! The poor things! Buttons, I'm so glad you were able to at least start the ball rolling on help!
Buttons likes this.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh gosh, thank you so so much, Buttons! I wasn't able to get up there today, and I really, really appreciate you doing that! I'm sure the hedgies do too.
Buttons likes this.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

So their excuse is that the hedgehogs have heat "in the back".

They also tried to push their wet tail drops on me for hamsters today. I was not impressed, since wet tail drops contain an antibiotic called neomyctin, which is not safe for hamsters, and you should not be administering antibiotics "as a preventative measure" if the hamster is not sick, because it will destroy their gut flora and give them diarrhea, which they can die from. If my hamster was sick, I'd take her to the vet for baytril.

I felt like I was being such an obnoxious twerp, but I just... ;_; I've had 25 hamsters since 1997 and when I hear incorrect information like that being given out to people, it upsets me.

Those poor hedgies and hammies.
MeyMey likes this.

Last edited by Katten; 04-25-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Katten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I could tell you guys things about Petland that would make you stop shopping there forever.

More importantly, I see the Calgary Humane Society's lead behaviourist (Barbara Walmer) once a week. Do you want me to ask her what the next step in helping these poor hedgies should be?
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

That would be awesome. I can PM you my e-mail address if she'd like it.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't know what she'll need... I see her Tuesday so I'll have more info then if that's alright.
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in