Guess who's getting some new (non-quilly) babies! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Guess who's getting some new (non-quilly) babies!

Well, they aren't hedgehogs...But I'm going to be taking in a pair of little hermit crabs!

A partner for a class project has two & doesn't really want them anymore. I've been kind of wanting to rescue/rehome some in the past few months, but was afraid to look on Craigslist for any (plus they don't seem like an animal that people frequently think to rehome). My partner means well, but she only has them in a 5 gallon tank and I'm not sure they have much in their enclosure.

So they're about to get spoiled rotten. I'm already planning to move them into my 10 gallon tank. I'll probably end up buying them a 20-30 gallon tank once a pet store near me has a $1/gallon sale, or maybe if I find one on Craigslist. I'm about to spend the rest of my evening doing as much research as I can, hehe.

Will post pictures once I have the little ones! I'm hoping to get them this weekend, but we'll see. I'm gonna have little babies to take care of again!!
nikki, shetland, MomLady and 8 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

...Well, I guess I'm going to go from being the Hedgehog Lady to being the Hermit Crab Lady. My neighbor's daughter had two, but one died. The daughter doesn't want to get any more, so her mom is offering me the one they have left. Guess who's going to have three hermit crabs soon?
nikki, MomLady and DesireeM81 like this.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lol, soon you will be the Queen of Hermit Crabs.
Lilysmommy, MomLady and Buttons like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh my gosh! That's great ☺ You made me giggle/made my day! At least they won't be running in a wheel all night
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I need to make myself a badge or a t-shirt or something. I'm already getting SO excited. The first two little ones will be coming home on Saturday. I'm going to wait until I have them settled in & until I have a bigger tank (at least 20 gallon, I'm currently waiting for a reply on a 50 gallon that was listed on CL...can we say hermit mansion?) before I take the third one from my neighbor. I want to have the third one under observation in my 10gal for a week or two before I try to introduce him to the other two, plus I want to make sure they have plenty of room so there's less chance of any spats!

Seriously, you should all see the shopping list I already have going.
CoffeeKat and Buttons like this.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Ah hermit crabs. Wonderful little creatures that can live a long time but usually don't because people don't provide anywhere near the care that they should.

If you didn't run across it yet, the Hermit Crab Association's webpage has some nice care sheets on it. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com...aresheets.html
and a forum: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php

I used them as a reference a lot when I was looking to get hermit crabs a few years ago.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes, thank you! One of our old forum members recommended them as well and I spent about 5-6 hours reading through their FAQ pages last night and taking notes. So far I have a plan for the tank set up (10 gal, sand mixed with coconut fiber, going to use a 60-watt CHE for heat & see how that goes, etc.). I'm already planning on buying a 30-50 gal tank to move them into once I can get one from Craigslist, or if I find a good deal on one at a store. I won't be bringing the third hermit crab home until I have that bigger tank because I'm paranoid. I wanna make sure no one feels too crowded!

And of course, I went NUTS as soon as I saw their food information. I'm going to be planning out a tentative weekly menu today. I'll probably have to kind of wait & see, since my classmate said her two are picky (but then, they're not in an appropriate enclosure, & I don't know what she's offering them), so I'm not sure what they'll try eating.

I'm joining the forum today as well because I have a few questions that weren't answered by the FAQ sheets, so I'm hoping to get some help with those.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Their site is amazing. And the people seemed plenty friendly when I was researching.

I know you hate looking at CL pets so...

$50 - 55 gallon :
http://lansing.craigslist.org/pet/4989799395.html
Lilysmommy likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I really do, but I steeled myself & checked yesterday for tanks. I found a 50gal one & emailed the person already. Somehow I missed that one! I'll contact them as well, I think, & see if they still have it. Thank you! I'm ridiculously excited about all of this. I only slept 5 hours last night because I stayed up so late and wanted to get back to researching when I woke up this morning. My friend and I are heading to the pet store tonight to do some shopping.

Edit: I got a reply from someone with a 44gal breeder tank, so it looks like that may be my hermit crabs' new home! Guess I'll have to rearrange furniture in my room sooner than I thought.

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 04-22-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sad face, this makes me think of my poor attempt at having hermits. I was a teenager and bought one from a little kiosk thing at the mall around Christmas. I'm sure it was sickly and malnourished when I got it, but it lived in a small plastc aquarium thing (probably less than 1 gal thinking of it) I just fed it "hermit crab food" from a bottle, didn't have a humidity setup...He was gone by March
Looking back on it, it makes me wish there were more laws against that sort of thing. The kiosk owner didn't care about the crabs, I just went off of the pamphlet he gave me, and the crab (plus dozens of others) suffered.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in